Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Re: slightly off topic simplex service cycle

A pristine Servi-Cycle can pull about $4k-$5k tops.
They are not too common, and finding an engine for one can be difficult. The original engines didn't hold up well and its not uncommon to find the bikes with some other engine cobbled in, engine missing or engine incomplete.
There is a fair supply of re-pop parts available.

Wayne Mahaffey(spell) in Alabama is the primary provider of parts.

check out: http://www.servi-cycle.com for more info.

Here is a pic of some of mine. The group shot is left to right: a mid thirties direct drive w/o crashbars, two late forties(one was a deluxe model), and the one on the right was a early 50's automatic that I repowered with a suzuki engine for a friend, it is now the black and silver one.

Attachments

·
Registered
377 Posts

This one is owned by a friend of mine, Mark Truit. I don't know shit about them, I think he still wants to sell it for $1,800.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks for the link and the pics! They are pretty neat looking. I found a group of about 20 for sale, all of them are pretty rough looking. The guy will only sell as a package, I think i will pass though.

·
Registered
474 Posts
1948 simplex servi cycle. new toy for the wife.

so here's the wifes new toy. picked it up for cheap from a guy here in town. figured out its a 48 motor in a 53 frame. theres 1 website with info and most the links dont work. manage'd to get ahold of some guy that has over 100 of these and he says theres 3 guys left in the U.S. that deals with them. he's one of them and one's 85 and on his death bed and the other one is a theif so he says and doesnt ship parts. good thing im only missing the kicker and the kicker pinion gear and the flywheel cover......which he wants 325 bucks for. soooo ill be fabbing something up to get her started. either way its all there and i started pullin her apart tonight to clean everything up. the carb was full of shit but everything else looks good.its gonna be fun as hell when its done. ill be documenting the whole build. were gonna do a mild restoration. not show quality of anything just something to bring it back to its glory days. i figured it'd be something nice for the wife to learn on and about.

oh and p.s. if ANYONE knows ANTYTHING about these simplex's or has parts lemme know. im hooked on this little bike.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Re: 1948 simplex servi cycle. new toy for the wife.

AW MAN, i have been eyeing one about 2 blocks away in the backyard of a house....I look too scary to ask. now I know what it is

·
Registered
75 Posts

Damn sexy Sue, Lemme know if I can help. (brute force mainly, I dinna know sheit about them)

jaz

·
Registered
340 Posts

I have a 48 too.Let me dig up my manual, & I'll send you a number for a guy that sells parts.I haven't been on the site in a long time, just tried & cann't get on.If I remember right they were built from 36-64?....with 48 being the largest production year.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts

A guy I knew built a couple of those with Honda backpack blower motors. They looked good when he was done. Talk about a fun as shit little thing to scoot around on. I got in trouble by the crew at Atlanta Dragway for going too fast on one at the AHDRA races last year.

He died a few weeks back after he wrecked his bagger.

·
Registered
474 Posts

I have a 48 too.Let me dig up my manual.
thatd be great if ya could! got yer msg thanks.got it stripped down to bare frame last night. and gonna sandblast this week and look for some new fenders. mine are pretty tweaked and bent up after lookin closer.
He died a few weeks back after he wrecked his bagger.
sorry to hear that man.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts

I had one that was a hillclimber, had a BSA A65 motor in it!!!!

.....................Roach.

·
Registered
55 Posts

I've got a 1945 that I'm working on. Making a springer front for it and putting a bigger engine on. They are fun little bikes. But I'm no restorer. The main guy is named Wayne Mahaffey in Alabama for parts. Coker sells tires. Have fun. Oh there's a guy on here I know as Bobber Bob too.

·
Registered
474 Posts

right on thanks for the info. got the carb all cleaned up and th engine degreased last night. and took the brake apart to clean the drum up. im hooked on this bike. its like a 3/4 scale build and its goin fast as hell. should have it done in a month or so.

·
Registered
474 Posts

got the carb cleaned up

got the springer apart and realized the welds on the front legs were cracked right at the weld. no biggie.

took the backing plate off to check the shoes and drum. its a little glazed but nothing i cant resurface. actually look pretty damn nice inside.

the stator plate with the cover off. looks like someone got in there and put some modern day wires in. im gonna go through and solder the connections so there not crimped.

·
Registered
474 Posts

heres the frame bare and ready for sand blasting

and heres the bundle of parts waitin on there trip tp the snad blaster and chromer.

the plan is to sand blast all the parts, then the springer and some misc nuts and bolts and the bars are off to chrome. The wife decided to go with a copper micro flake base with root beer brown clear over that. and some mustard'ish gold'ish simple striping. gonna repaint the motor and polish the cover. and searchin out a luggage rack for the rear and some new fenders. then its on to reassembly!

·
Registered
2 Posts

i have eight simplexs now. been playing with em for couple years now. the guy that had his at atlanta dragway was a good friend of mine. really didnt die from accident, but a blood clot week latter. we helped him build his simplex and he was helping me with our most recent one. enclosed are a few pixs of it.this one was an air force model as you can see by the tank lettering. i put it back with same markings. RIP Monty

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts

Sleez: Any ideas about stretching one about 4" or 5"? Mine is darn short. Thinking about running a Jr. dragster engine.

·
Registered
425 Posts

They are a cool little bike. If all else fails with your resto attempt. They make a cool mail box:D

1 - 20 of 49 Posts