Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a simple petcock for my xs. I'm making the tank, so threaded would be easiest. I really like the one Hank Young has on his website for $20 (brass) but I would really like a reserve ( I actually ride and don't want to have to do math to figure out my gas.). Anyone have anything or know of a nice simple universal one?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
james said:
I'm looking for a simple petcock for my xs. I'm making the tank, so threaded would be easiest. I really like the one Hank Young has on his website for $20 (brass) but I would really like a reserve ( I actually ride and don't want to have to do math to figure out my gas.). Anyone have anything or know of a nice simple universal one?
I'd really like to see that tank. Go to your hardware store and get a brass valve with NPT threads on either end for a few bucks. No reserve, though, but its stone simple, cheap, and polishes nicely.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I was putting my bike together on a Sunday and found out my petcock was shot, it was a paugcho one so it was different size thread (smaller) than the others we had. Went to Ace in desperation and cobbled together a bunch of plumbing fittings and it seems to work, I think it is kinda cool looking too. Dont know how well it flows but it seems to work, I'll try and take some pics for you.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Spend the money get a pingel.
james said:

·
Registered
675 Posts
you'll only have to buy one your whole life. buy a $20 petcock and you will replace it every year or so....cheaper in the long run
james said:
Aren't they like $80? That more than I have in the engine!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chopperdave said:
so, buy two
put a brass tube in one of them so the one without the brass tube will be reserve, put one on each side
or not...

just a thought
those brass little ones are cool
Damn, Why didn't I think of that? That's perfect and adds a little more "gizmoness" . Cool.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
chicoman7 said:
Spend the money get a pingel.
I second that. They work so smooth, they make you smile everytime you turn it on.
Larry T

·
Registered
376 Posts
Chopperdave said:
so, buy two
put a brass tube in one of them so the one without the brass tube will be reserve, put one on each side
or not...

just a thought
those brass little ones are cool
this is the way my bsa has been since before i bought it in 1974. works just fine. aftermarket peanut tank with two outlets.

if your tank hangs down enough on both sides of the frame you don't even have to put in the brass tube; you already have two seperate "wells" and either one will work for the reserve.

with a 0.9 gallon peanut tank, though, reserve doesn't mean a thing. you stop at EVERY gas station you come to.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
james said:
Go to a Hydraulic supply shop ,they have a wide range (least they do in aussie land ) and you just might find something you like .
I picked up 2 chromed hex brass ones for my triumph and they work great I just epoxyed in short a brass tube for the normal fuel supply and on the other I left it how it was ,for reserve.Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
967 Posts
As long as the rubber in the valve doesn't react poorly to fuel, there ought to be a lot of plumbing fixtures you could dig up.

·
Registered
246 Posts
on my honda chop I just used a bunch of stuff I got at home depot plumbing section
it is my plumber theme bike
because a bike aint a real bike if it isnt a salute to something
(stealth, fire fighters, you know that sorta thing)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.