Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to say, frist things first, I built the bike to ride and I do. But during the winter, I have to be at these bike show anyways (for the MC). So might as well put the bike in the show, I did my first show and got 1st. But it's hard to get second when your the only bike in the class.

So, is there anyone out there the judges? Can you help me out with a few tips? It really suck when your stuck in a class with a bunch of checkbook bike, so how do you make your home built chopper stick out? Does the judges give you some slack for building your own? Display or the bike, cause in the end it's about the bike right? Not the amount of light-mirrors and disco balls that you can cram into you spot? Show is in two week. 17-18-19. They have a class where Donnie smith is judging a class and idk if he will pull for the homebuilt over the store bought.

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
I have competed against big money hotrods, with my low buck homebuilt hotrod and beat em....I'm talking about a 17k investment against 500k. It can be done, but it's ALL about the design and attention to details. I have also judged shows with 2-3000 cars present. I pick what is the coolest, not the most expensive. I have pissed off the big-buck guys with my choices, but I stand by my decisions and won't change my mind for anyone. I can't be bought.
So.....build what you think is cool and live with the decisions of the judges. I've always thought that a trophy is really meaningless. The real prize is that I get to drive or ride home in something that is cool to me.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I can't give you any advice on winning over judges. Judging is not easy...some think like hatch (and me), and some are won over by sparkly bolt on stuff. Build what you build to suit yourself and be proud of it. Somebody who spends big bucks, especially on something somebody else builds for them has no bragging rights whatsoever. Go to the shows for the fun of it, hang out with like minded people and enjoy the day...don't go planning on bringing home a trophy...and be a good sport, I have seen people banned from shows (mainly the big spenders) by being sore losers.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I haven't seriously shown anything in quite a few years, but I would always put on my little placard (and on the entry form/sign-up sheet if possible) "ALL Work Done By Owner." Did it matter to any judges? I dunno, but at least they had the information if it did make a difference to 'em. I did a little bit of judging way-back-when and it would matter to me. My shit tended to do okay. Never set the world on fire, but respectable enough.

It would also spark a lot of conversations and I met some pretty cool people over the years. Of course I also met a buncha nipple-heads, but there's no escaping that.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I like to stand beside my bike and whenever anyone approaches I throw my arms up in the air and yell "Taaa Daaa!!!"

I've never entered a bike in a bike show, but this approach does keep people away from me in parking lots.

·
Registered
710 Posts
If a show is judged correctly, each category like chrome, paint, etc is is judged on a scale of 1-10. It's all in the details. You need to score as high as possible in each category. You could have killer paint, but if there are a few defects as in dust in the clear, swirls, your graphics are uneven, etc, it's gonna cost ya. Local shows are different. Sometimes there judged by builders or other clubs. This could help or hurt you. We've all seen bolt on chromed out bikes win, where there were clearly better bikes in the show. Enter it, who cares if you win, you've got the best parking spot in the house.

·
Registered
726 Posts
details,its all in the details!
i`m a builder/owner myself, have shown against some pro-builds and won!
got a modest collection of trophy`s, won "bike-of-the-month" at a weekly bikenight that would draw 200/300 bikes..[bike of the night winners would compete for bike of the month and a $100 prize] all in shyte paint and road grime included........
IMO-its ALL in the details and the lines!
but ya wanna know what the REAL prize is?
i call it the"peoples choice award"
not a real award, just the amount of people around your bike at any given time,and the amount of time they spend there!
THATS the real trophy!
sure,we`v all seen the guy who 24k gold plates his stock twinky and wins....
we`v all seen the 110 skull paintjobs [one for every CI] and those bikes DO win with alarming regularity!
but how long do the people stop and look?
is anybody searching the owner down to ask how many skulls are in that paint?
the short answer is NO!
i`m the guy with the crowd around my bike answering questions like " yea,thats a stainless cable ran inside a stainless tube with stainless crimped ends for the rear brake".
or-" no those arent blinkers those are tailights made outta stainless yeagermiester shot glasses".....
they will keep me busy the entire night like that!
thats the real prize!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Wintertime shows are something to do, but don't get upset if the guys chasing points beat you. At the last show I entered, some of the comments on my judging card were "Bottom of gas tank not detailed" and I got points knocked of for a drip of oil hanging off the bottom of the frame. It was still a good time, got to visit with folks I see once a year.
Larry T

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess I do it for the crowd attenion, if I can win something then cool, but if not o'well. The class I was thinking of entering is a $100 buy in with $500 first place, seem like a big risk, but I would respect a opinion of a bike builder or some guy that just got choose to judge. My big thing is if people stop and look at it, then I didn't build a ugly bike.... In the end isn't that why a lot of us post out bikes on here to show them off to like minded people. I know I'm going to get docked cause I'm running few old parts, that the chrome isn't show quilty.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
pfft give me 25 bucks I will mail you a letter saying your bike is pretty!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
At the highest level, they are going to look in places you do not expect them to look to find flaws. For example, when you painted your tins and then rubbed them out, did you leave any orange peel on an underside thinking no one will see it? A good judge will find it, and deduct points. Nuts and bolts must be pristine. Wiring has to be beautiful if it's seen anywhere. If you could turn a bike or car upside down and find every flaw, you'd have the right idea.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I would like to say, frist things first, I built the bike to ride and I do. But during the winter, I have to be at these bike show anyways (for the MC). So might as well put the bike in the show, I did my first show and got 1st. But it's hard to get second when your the only bike in the class.

So, is there anyone out there the judges? Can you help me out with a few tips? It really suck when your stuck in a class with a bunch of checkbook bike, so how do you make your home built chopper stick out? Does the judges give you some slack for building your own? Display or the bike, cause in the end it's about the bike right? Not the amount of light-mirrors and disco balls that you can cram into you spot? Show is in two week. 17-18-19. They have a class where Donnie smith is judging a class and idk if he will pull for the homebuilt over the store bought.
It depends on few things, if the show promoter is having a hard time filling the class's you have alot better chance of doing well, if on the other hand he's turing bikes away then your going to have make your bike alot more showable as the judging gets alot tighter, the good thing about Donnie is he is a form follows function kind of guy, so if your not in a pro class, he'll give you more of a break for your rider then he would for a full on show bike.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you are showing the Mean Green shovel, you will do fine. Shine it up, ride it in, and ride it out. Everything else is just gravy. Enjoy.

Wanna buy a Sportster project? Future show bike???? Just kidding assembly is coming along. Keep in touch.

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
An award is only as good as the person giving it. If you respect the "picker" and get picked by them, then it's a good thing. Like getting the "husband of the year award" from O.J. Simpson. No ...wait, that's not such a good example.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts