Jockey Journal Forum banner
981 - 984 of 984 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
1. I'd caption it "Trackmaster Atlas," but honesty compels me to add that it could just as easily be a Commando (and that, if that were the case, if one was to look at its other side, the Norton logo on the timing cover might be diagonally, not horizontally, oriented) or any other Norton twin from 500cc to 830cc. I am now going to shut up about this Norton.

2. A pretty ordinary -- in fact, a kind of sloppy-looking* -- Bonnie-based flat tracker; but it definitely is a flat tracker, so that's something.

3. Gary Nixon was getting a lift to the races in a buddy's trailer, sitting around with the buddy and half of his pit crew. I don't know how they were passing the time but one can guess: #9's hobbies and opinions were well known (and much disliked by the clean-living, pro-Vietnam War guys who governed AMA-sanctioned racing). After a couple of hours, Nixon decided a walk might clear his head some. He had his upper body and one leg out the side door, hovering over the absent steps above Highway 101, when a mechanic got hold of his shirt collar and brought the outside part of him back inside. The truck and trailer were going between 65 and 75 mph. I'm glad Nixon remained in this world as long as he did.

* The kind I'd be happy with, in other words.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Motorcycle Automotive tire

·
Administrator
7,799 Posts
Pics from 5 years ago, a so. FL bike meet. No, not flat trackers/desert racers. If a mod wishes these to be re-located, please do it and PM me the thread. I have more.

There are quite a few different threads for pictures, might not always be able to find a perfect match, but here are the picture threads:

981 - 984 of 984 Posts