Jockey Journal Forum banner
961 - 980 of 986 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
I once had an OSSA Six days Replica. A MI friend had a Pioneer and that bike was a lot of fun to ride, it was pretty-new, and after trying that I bought a new Yamaha 360 Enduro and used it for hare scrambles and enduros. That green OSSA is a good looking flat tracker.

Here are pics from St. Augustine FL at the annual bike meet. Note the hardtail.

View attachment 272676 View attachment 272677
Nice…the axle plate is fixed with just those two little bolts?

·
Registered
808 Posts
I can see a weld bead between the tube and the plate, unless my septuagenarian eyes are failing me.
I agree, I’m probably missing something but it looks like the different coloured part is bolted on to the piece that’s actually welded to the tube. Most likely perfectly adequate and I’m being an idiot. Lovely little thumper at any rate.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Elektron, on the top line of your puter, slightly to the right, there's such a button called ""prt sc""...

Stands for print screen... Then go and paste the screen into any photoshop logiciel to get a nice picture without LSD induced visual effects.

Patrick

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yes, that's how I did the others, I did the 1st from a phone. I corrected the 'flashback' op-art effect pic. I hope no one got carried back to 1969!

For penance I'm going to watch a couple Cheech and Chong movies, and then listen to some Firesign Theater.

Here's a pic from Daytona International Speedway during the national TT race a couple of years ago. Hollingsworth had a large display of H-D track bikes. From the shaved jugs, I suspect this hillclimber Sportster may have run on alcohol and perhaps some nitro for 'extra-oomph.' I bet it was fun to watch this snarl its way to the top. I didn't see any racing number plate which would have confirmed what class it ran-in.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Cooks and Elektron, yall were doubtful that the axle tabs on rigid flat track frames were secured only by a couple of bolts. Well, uh, they are. The point of tabs is that they allow the bike's wheelbase to be tailored to specific conditions: For a quarter-mile, short wheelbase for superquick handling; for longer tracks, longer wheelbase for stability on the straights and larger-diameter turns. This is my grade-school-level understanding of the reasoning, anyhow. Also it may be that a softer, "dirtier" surface would want different handling characteristics than a hard clay "blue groove" track. Couple pictures of tabs below.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yes I think you're correct about the chain-tension/axle plate being bolted-on. I was saying that I saw a weld between the frame tube and the shallow-depth 'C' plate. The last pic you posted shows it clearly. That beefy chain adjuster does a lot to hold the axle stationary, and I suspect without it, the axle would soon move out of alignment, with the chain-drive side being pulled towards the countershaft sprocket, no-matter how tight you tried to get the axle nuts.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
1. Triumph triples, 1971. Looks like the factory stuck FT bars on a couple of roadracers and told Castro and Romero "See how you do with these."

2 & 3. Jim Rice on a Rocket 3 in a proper frame (like Nixon's, above).

·
Registered
146 Posts
Any ideas on the "cans" in front of the timing case on the 11 & 3? Coils or capacitors?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Not for sure, but they look like big ol' capacitors such as might be found in 1960s/70s major household appliances, don't they?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
It seems a pretty safe assumption that the 1971-and-later Tri/BSA OIF frame was based on the Trackmaster &/or Champion flat track frame. But how closely? Do any of you hyperknowledgeable Triumph hominids out there have the specs at your fingertips for comparison? -- geometry, o/a wheelbase, swingarm length, other significant figures I'm too lazy and ignorant to think of? (Just as I am too L. and I. to rassle with the JJ's Magic Eight-Ball search function so as to learn whether this subject has been covered in an existing thread.)

Thanks if you can help with this only partially idle question.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Sincere apologies for dropping an image in here that has nothing (well: hardly anything) to do with either deserts or dirt ovals. But holy shit what a great photograph! -- looking at it makes me want to take an infarction and die, just for fun.

I guess the frame is Matchless/AMC, like the fuel tank? Is it stock from stem to stern, or have its rearward parts been cut up and/or retubed, changed somehow? Is there anybody still on the JJ who knows their AMC stuff?

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Poster

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Since he is climbing a hill, I'll go with tank is there to bring weight forward.

961 - 980 of 986 Posts