Jockey Journal Forum banner
961 - 970 of 970 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
I once had an OSSA Six days Replica. A MI friend had a Pioneer and that bike was a lot of fun to ride, it was pretty-new, and after trying that I bought a new Yamaha 360 Enduro and used it for hare scrambles and enduros. That green OSSA is a good looking flat tracker.

Here are pics from St. Augustine FL at the annual bike meet. Note the hardtail.

View attachment 272676 View attachment 272677
Nice…the axle plate is fixed with just those two little bolts?

·
Registered
806 Posts
I can see a weld bead between the tube and the plate, unless my septuagenarian eyes are failing me.
I agree, I’m probably missing something but it looks like the different coloured part is bolted on to the piece that’s actually welded to the tube. Most likely perfectly adequate and I’m being an idiot. Lovely little thumper at any rate.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Some pics of the real 'Bronson,' Birney Jarvis.
The grainy one with him on his bike, with the roll above the headlight, is the archetype for the Michael Parks TV portrayal. Pics off the internet, a youtube video of Birney Jarvis.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Elektron, on the top line of your puter, slightly to the right, there's such a button called ""prt sc""...

Stands for print screen... Then go and paste the screen into any photoshop logiciel to get a nice picture without LSD induced visual effects.

Patrick

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yes, that's how I did the others, I did the 1st from a phone. I corrected the 'flashback' op-art effect pic. I hope no one got carried back to 1969!

For penance I'm going to watch a couple Cheech and Chong movies, and then listen to some Firesign Theater.

Here's a pic from Daytona International Speedway during the national TT race a couple of years ago. Hollingsworth had a large display of H-D track bikes. From the shaved jugs, I suspect this hillclimber Sportster may have run on alcohol and perhaps some nitro for 'extra-oomph.' I bet it was fun to watch this snarl its way to the top. I didn't see any racing number plate which would have confirmed what class it ran-in.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Cooks and Elektron, yall were doubtful that the axle tabs on rigid flat track frames were secured only by a couple of bolts. Well, uh, they are. The point of tabs is that they allow the bike's wheelbase to be tailored to specific conditions: For a quarter-mile, short wheelbase for superquick handling; for longer tracks, longer wheelbase for stability on the straights and larger-diameter turns. This is my grade-school-level understanding of the reasoning, anyhow. Also it may be that a softer, "dirtier" surface would want different handling characteristics than a hard clay "blue groove" track. Couple pictures of tabs below.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yes I think you're correct about the chain-tension/axle plate being bolted-on. I was saying that I saw a weld between the frame tube and the shallow-depth 'C' plate. The last pic you posted shows it clearly. That beefy chain adjuster does a lot to hold the axle stationary, and I suspect without it, the axle would soon move out of alignment, with the chain-drive side being pulled towards the countershaft sprocket, no-matter how tight you tried to get the axle nuts.

961 - 970 of 970 Posts