Jockey Journal Forum banner

921 - 940 of 941 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Really nice, both of them. But my heart is with the 7t.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
"BMW" and "flat track bike" just don't sound real when put together and held up to the light. Nevertheless, this bike makes me feel good to look at, as a longtime, shamefaced lover of the Rubber Cow.

I wish I knew more about this, but I don't.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Jeffrey Carver rode the Wood BMW a little bit. He talks about riding for Ron in an interview with Sideburn magazine a few issues ago about his Wood Rotax "Big Red". Jeffrey says the BMW had two ignitions because it would always burn one up during the main. I hadn't seen any closeup photos of the BMW, that's a pretty bike!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
It certainly is; characteristically so. I bet it's a smart little fucker to ride, too.

Might the bike in your ... uh ... the small picture right under your name ... be yours, Graham? Or is it more aspirational than documentary?

[Subtextal questions: Do you race flat track, and if so, whereabouts?)

I never took the opportunity to say Welcome or even Howdy when you put up your intro. Please accept a badly belated howdy and my apology for having shit for good manners.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Here is a vintage flat track video I shot a few year back... Got accepted in the Brooklyn Motorcycle Film Festival that year so I was pleased .

Not quite flat tracking but racing on the beach might be of interest to you.. Wall of Death , Cars and bikes if you are into that sort of thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It certainly is; characteristically so. I bet it's a smart little fucker to ride, too.

Might the bike in your ... uh ... the small picture right under your name ... be yours, Graham? Or is it more aspirational than documentary?

[Subtextal questions: Do you race flat track, and if so, whereabouts?)

I never took the opportunity to say Welcome or even Howdy when you put up your intro. Please accept a badly belated howdy and my apology for having shit for good manners.
The avatar bike is purely aspirational. I took the photo at the Congregation Show a couple years ago. I have a 1970 Ironhead in boxes that I hope one day will have a similar look. I have a serious thing for KR's and XLR's.

I don't race flat track, but have friends that do. One owns a bike that runs a partial American Flat Tack singles schedule. Another races vintage bikes regionally here in the southeast and ventures up to the midwest. I could picture myself having a TT500 or similar race bike sometime in the future...not sure I would ride it myself, though.

Thank you for the belated "howdy" and no need for any apologies...

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
This may be a pretty but empty design exercise; I don't know if it'll ever see a racetrack. But, like I say, pretty ... Duc 750 Monster power, built in Milan.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Didn't know Sprints were still racing in '71; I mean, not as seriously as this one is set up to be. How little I know. Oh the ignorance of me!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
The OP of these swiped pics knows nothing about this bike; he was looking for information. All that I can even arguably tell is that the aftermarket frame isn't any of the common brands (Trackmaster, Champion, et al.) and if I squint I think I can make out a post-'67 breather exiting the primary. Kinda cool thing, whatever it is.

Oh, uh, the OP figures it to be > mid-'70s because laydown shocks.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Here my Champion framed dirt tracker with a 750 Weslake 4 valve kit.
It was raced around Oklahoma In the 60s by John Rourke, then converted to street in the late 70s. It's really a blast to ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Really nice.

I don't recall ever hearing anybody's personal experience with the 8-valve head. Can you dredge up anything to say about a Weslake (performance improvement/characteristics, easy or hard to live with on a street bike, does it influence or constrain the kind of riding you do, would you see one as money well spent if you were building an engine from scratch, et cetera)? Thanks, if you can.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I never saw such a low-dangling offside footpeg. Was it common practice to run them that low, c. 70 years ago? -- This is Nick Nicolaides' '49 500.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
(Footpeg question refers to the old B/W shot.)

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
So big & bad is the baloney factor of the site I swiped this image from -- so ubiquitous are the ignorance, sloppiness, venality, and just plain dishonesty of the contributions I've found there -- that I was suspicious right away that the old shop ad below could be a fake. Part of that whole genre of accepted fake stuff such as t-shirts, fake-aged at the t-shirt factory, that advertise rock concerts which took place twenty years before the wearer was born. Or fake-aged beer signs for one's party room, or sheets of fake-old stickers for one's tool boxes: Castrol R, Harmon & Collins, etc.

... Sorry, got off on a tangent (obviously). The short version is, does anybody recall/know anything about this shop? The presence of a zip code in the address suggests that the ad (if it's not a fake) would have been published mid-1960s or later. (Oh, uh, and so does the unit engine.) ... Anybody?

Attachments

921 - 940 of 941 Posts