Jockey Journal Forum banner

901 - 920 of 941 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yetman had a similar frame design for Asian engined road bikes in the 1960's/'70's, to that Penner frame, using the engine as a stressed-member, and no downtubes cradling the engine. However, in a more-modern design, it had rear suspension.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A 1958 3ta with a lot 60's t100 engine parts wich I restored, this bike was used in the 60's for MX in belgium. Waithing on the high level left side exhaustpipes...

Just finished my ’66 6T flat tracker . Rebuild it with a jawa speedway rearframe because hardtails are more fun 😀

Also own a 1990 jawa speedway now... fun to ride and bloody fast...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
They all look like (too much) fun. That's some no-nonsense gusseting in pic #1; never seen anything quite like it. I'd like to see the '58 with the gas tank off, can you put up a photo without inconvenience?

Elektron, might you have a photo of the Yetman frame? I'd "research" it myself, i.e., root around online, but my fingers were missing when I got up this morning.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Ah, thanks. Was mostly just camera angle that made it look unusual in the first pic, I guess.

·
Registered
181 Posts
They all look like (too much) fun. That's some no-nonsense gusseting in pic #1; never seen anything quite like it. I'd like to see the '58 with the gas tank off, can you put up a photo without inconvenience?

Elektron, might you have a photo of the Yetman frame? I'd "research" it myself, i.e., root around online, but my fingers were missing when I got up this morning.
I may have a pic of it in an early 1970's issue of Motorcycle Sport Quarterly but that isn't where I am at the moment. When I go to the other house I'll look for it.

Here's a Ducati/Yetman:
http://fcamillieri.com/yetman.htm

And one for a Triumph twin.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Sure does/has. Bookmarked for leisurely perusal. Thanks, Elektron.

That's a nice reminder of how seriously racers took the little-engined classes way back when. Some of the wildest engineering came out of 50-175cc racing!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sure does/has. Bookmarked for leisurely perusal. Thanks, Elektron.

That's a nice reminder of how seriously racers took the little-engined classes way back when. Some of the wildest engineering came out of 50-175cc racing!
An acquaintance here in south FL built a 250 cc Brand S monocoque road racer. Another one campaigned a Yankee 500 twin road racer. Friends of mine bought the east coast Yankee distributor, including complete bikes, parts, and the Full Bore line. The bike in the lobby where the business was in Schenectady NY was a brand-new Dick Mann Replica flat tracker. I still have a very-serviceable Full Bore enduro jacket, before the use of slip-in pads/armor, I bought from them.

Small-displacement roadracers often had many-more gears in their gearboxes (I recall 9!) and marques like Kreidler were world champions.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
[Pointedly ignoring vorhese, who don't come around no more.]

·
Registered
61 Posts
My 1956 BSA factory flat tracker ... 200 made for a 2 year period.

The history of my is that Michael Esposito bought and raced it at Laconia and Daytona and all the local north east dirt tracks including Watkins Glen. Then it was tucked away in his attic until he passed away. John's Cycle in Queens was his friend and neighbor . Pictured in some of the old photos I have. They told Hugh Mackie about the bike and he bought it . Raced it for 2 seasons with number plate 703 ... When I bought it from him he gave me Esposito's original number plates and other original bites as well .

He it is at Laconia with John and Michael standing proud. This is the goal for my restoration. To look as it did when he raced it not so much as the factory did it

·
Registered
61 Posts
My desert sled. 1967 Triumph Desert sled . One of the 100 serial numbers with the Johnson Motors special ordered 65 raked frames... Ordered without official paperwork obviously since that would have been cheating

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Nice bit of history

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Wade, you got some very fine bikes. Thanks for the show & tell and please keep 'em up.

1. Ron Wood 750 Duc, circa 1973. 2. Wood DOHC Rotax for the 600cc class (RIP). Mid-1980s (I think).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I asked (on the new Flat Track Forum) what had become of the Wood Duck and had it failed to thrive on the track. And a knowledgeable fella replied:

"From what David Aldana told me when he gave it some saddle time at Ascot, was the transmission was clunky & the 2nd concern was the lean angle. Engine was real low & would plow the left crankcase in the turns. ... You can see where Ron modded the left engine case to take care of some of this problem. What he did, might of not been enough. I'll have to get ahold of Rob Morrison someday (probably at a Trailblazers MC event) and ask him if he remembers any concerns he had. He raced the Duc at Corona."

901 - 920 of 941 Posts