Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw one here on the board (Danny F maybe) and one in an old Easyriders. Looks like a cool conversion...what all is involved if I were wanting to do it?? thanks-

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Dan said:
Saw one here on the board (Danny F maybe) and one in an old Easyriders. Looks like a cool conversion...what all is involved if I were wanting to do it?? thanks-
Yes Dan, it was me,I had this bike about 20 years ago, I bought it from Jay Julson in Oak View (R.I.P.), but the bike was build by "Gordon's Motorcycle Madness" in Ventura,Ca...So I was not involved in the conversion...what I do remember is that there was a kit available during these years..can't remember offhand who sold it..damn..Trociek or something I believe...Also it had ATLAS chrome-moly cylinders, all internals was S&S, inside cases were mirror polished, see pic...I will try to find an article about the conversion in the coming days...this bike was faaast man but an oil spiller also...

Attachments

·
Registered
583 Posts
There was a lot of special machine work required to make it all work. It was an early attempt a getting a lot of cubic inches out of the sportsters for drag racing. Our shop "Pucketts H D" in Orlando Fl. had a 106 cu in Nitro burner built that way. The weak spot on the early sportsters was the transmission case and it just got worse with more power. S&S addressed the issue by making their own cases already set up for big inches and reinforced in all the right places and the ShovelSter conversion was history. Ours didn't leak But it blew up a Lot!

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that must be why I cant find much info about it, huh, pretty expensive, hard on parts, etc.?? I am looking for more power outta my sportster but also something kinda unique...but more than anything I want reliability. Been down the tempermental engine route before and care not to go again...

Here is another idea I was kicking around, what exactly does it take to build a "magnum 45"?? I know this combo probably does make gobs of power, but they are cool looking. Anyone explain the intricacies of those to me?? thanks-

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Here is another idea I was kicking around, what exactly does it take to build a "magnum 45"?? I know this combo probably does make gobs of power, but they are cool looking. Anyone explain the intricacies of those to me?? thanks-[/QUOTE]

There might be some info on the 45 magnum here http://www.randysmith.info/ as he made a succesful one. From what i understand they were time bombs with more power then those 45 bottom ends could handle

·
Registered
583 Posts
Kinda the same thing but this time a 900 sporty top end on a 45. The big hassle with each swap was the limited distance between the lifter housings and new cylinders and boring the cases for the larger diameter cylinders.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Dan said:
that must be why I cant find much info about it, huh, pretty expensive, hard on parts, etc.?? I am looking for more power outta my sportster but also something kinda unique...but more than anything I want reliability. Been down the tempermental engine route before and care not to go again...
\S&S makes an 89" kit for evo sporties,gobs of power AND reliability!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Pat Leahy, High Gear Machine, Long Beach, CA . Built in 1972. It is in the front of his shop today.

You see the poster in the R/H side of the picture? That's a poster of Evil Knevil's Orange County Intl. Raceway record breaking jump. That's Pat in the white shirt to the far left of the picture that day. Pat was EK's wrench.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rich - that is cool, thanks for sharing. Evel is from Butte here in MT and was definately a hero of mine growing up, its cool to see any memoribilia associated with him.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I bought a set of Shovster cases down at the last Cow Palace swap, I'll try to take a few pics of the welding/machining involved.
-Jesse

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sporticus said:
Ratpan said:
fixed the tranny problem by cutting it off and running a BT 4 speed.

So when you were done, you had essentially a four cam Shovelhead with a lot of machine work?
You say that like it's a bad thing, there are a lot of advantages to running a Sporty lower.

I had no problem with doing all the work in trade for a 8.13 @ 156.78 in fact I was more than happy with it in the early 90's, guess you would have to be into racing to understand.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Ratpan said:
You say that like it's a bad thing...guess you would have to be into racing to understand.
I was really more curious to know if there are any advantages to the Sporty bottom end and if so, what they are. Since you really don't know anything about me beyond text on an on-line forum, it's premature to guess what I am and am not into.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sporticus said:
I was really more curious to know if there are any advantages to the Sporty bottom end and if so, what they are. Since you really don't know anything about me beyond text on an on-line forum, it's premature to guess what I am and am not into.
My Bad .... I won't bother you with my on-line speculation anymore ................

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Sporticus said:
I was really more curious to know if there are any advantages to the Sporty bottom end and if so, what they are.
I'm a long ways from being an expert, but I think the rocker arm geometry is a lot better on a 4 cam engine than a single cam V twin engine. Also the cam timing can be changed easier.
Larry T

1 - 16 of 16 Posts