Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I,m new so give me a break
I currently riding a 72 xlch with 1340 barrels and 1200 heads
I,m having some problems with pushrod leakage anyone out there thats tryed this and can help me I,m open for suggestions
wensday night this week she,s going to the drags on thursday I let you know how it went by the way it,s got a 4&3/4stroke

·
Registered
411 Posts
Post a pic I've always been interested in a shovester or shovelster and if it works well. Always heard alot of talkers but no one that ever built or owned one themselves.

·
Registered
944 Posts
The angle is wrong between the lifter blocks and the heads. Common with this conversion. You have to machine the lifter blocks to correct.
Hank

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yea thats kind of a given dude and I bet you have to machine the cases to fit the barrels obviously, so if you've built one like I said before give us the low down on the process and pros and cons and was it very reliable. Did it give more or less of a stroke, what fly wheel to use, any mods there, best heads to use? Shovelster said he used 1200's with 1340 barrels? There has got to be more to it than that. Post pics too I can barely read . . .

Apehanger Hank said:
The angle is wrong between the lifter blocks and the heads. Common with this conversion. You have to machine the lifter blocks to correct.
Hank

·
Registered
84 Posts
The shovster was Ron Trock's baby he R+d the design from begining to end. I built one years ago with a lot of his help, he is one of the good guys, and there is nobody in the country that knows more about that combination then Ron. I might have pictures as we put my customers together .

Trock Cycle Specialities
13 N. 417 French Road
Hampshire, Ill. 60140
847-683-4010

·
Registered
411 Posts
Fuck yeah dude post them! What gearing did you end up with?

Jurneyman said:
The shovster was Ron Trock's baby he R+d the design from begining to end. I built one years ago with a lot of his help, he is one of the good guys, and there is nobody in the country that knows more about that combination then Ron. I might have pictures as we put my customers together .

Trock Cycle Specialities
13 N. 417 French Road
Hampshire, Ill. 60140
708-683-4010

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Jurneyman said:
While it's true, Trock is probably the most well-known builder of Shovsters, and probably the most publicized - a good half-dozen years before him, a lot of the East Bay Dragons and L.A. Rattlers were running Pansters and Shovsters in the East Bay in NorCal, and down in the South Bay in L.A. as well.

Pat Leahy from High Gear Machine was actively campaigning a 93" gas Shovster at strips like Lyons in Long Beach, and Palmdale CA in 1970.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Irish,in no way shape. or form was that post ment to take away from the inginuity and resoursefulness, of the early fabricators, I was riding and learning from a lot of those builders in Nothern Cal.but it was a little bit before that time, in the late 60's seeing first hand what those guy's could do, I don't have a doubt in my mind that you could be absoultly right about the first prototypes, and Ron took it to the next level by making the cylinders, etc.available for the motorshops like myself. It was out there someplace the first time I heard, "If you you can't buy it make it." I do use it once in awhile but its like about everything I know, I learned it from someone before me. Thats why I try to pass it on, so it doesn't die. One more from an old road brother "when the end of the word comes the bikers will survive and rebuild it right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts