Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, need some harley gurus input. First, i have a 78 shovelhead, with solid lifters, and non-adjustable pushrods. The front exhaust lifter, after setting zero lash, now has a pressurized oil leak. It its confusing me because the last time i adjusted them, there was no problem w/ oil leaks. I understand they originally had hydraulic lifters, buy why is there all the sudden a problem?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Leaking where? If I read your problem right, it sounds like you have bad corks/pushrod cover rubbers going bad, or your cover is sitting on the edge of the lifter block. Sometimes the top tube gets rusty, and binds up in the lower tube, making the tube to short to seal the oil in. If that is the case, pull the tube and wire brush the upper and lower tubes, wipe with lith grease and reinstall. Don't have anything to do with the solids. Probably more shovel motors out there with solids than the original hydros.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice! The oil is spraying from around the bottom of the pushrod tube, where the cork seal is. And when I kill the motor, and good amount of oil flows from the same area. I will order new seals and hope that cures it!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Replace all three seals in each tube at one time. Don't lose the washer in the middle and put it back together with the washer on the spring side of the middle seal. Clean the seats for the seals well. The cork seals work just fine but the blue neoprene last longer.

G

·
I also think you are dealing with a sealing problem....

If you wanted to lessen the amount of oil going to the lifters...

This could be an idea....

Install set screws in the oil ports to stop the supply of pressured oil ....It's not needed for running solids.

This can be also done in the lifter blocks....I did it in the case on this motor...Had it down for a build at the time.

If in the future you wanted to go back to running Hyd. lifters...Be easy to pull the set screws.....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 6 of 6 Posts