Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I turn this 83 Shovel over the oil bag cap pops out which tells me there is a breather problem, correct?

Sound like a clogged breather to you?

Hopefully as simple as cleaning it out, correct?

I'd like some input before I pull the cone off and check it out.

Thanks,

Doug

·
Registered
317 Posts
Alot of Blow-by...maybe..??

Good idea to look at all on the case vent....Make sure the fitting is a large I.D. ...Breather timing of the gear is a set thing from the factory...But you could improve the window timing with a new S&S gear.....
Is 3/8" hose for case vent too small? About 10" long? Without filter.

-66 Shovel.

G

·
Is 3/8" hose for case vent too small? About 10" long? Without filter.

-66 Shovel.
That's pretty much the normal size...
The fitting that screws into the case...If you can run a straight one there would help with less restriction...Could even drill the I.D. to a lager size if needed.

A 90 degree one has been a problem in the past...Like what came on the FXR's...
Mostly seen on big inch motors..

May be a grand idea to do a Leak-Down Test just so that can be taken out of the game...If your dealing with blow-by....Kinda beating a dead horse with the cure of above....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the input - I will be eliminating the vent filter for sure.

When you say 'blow by' what exactly are you referring to and what is the cause and remedy for that?

Thanks,

Doug

G

·
When you say 'blow by' what exactly are you referring to and what is the cause and remedy for that?
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/blowby.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leak-down_tester

Gapless ® Piston Rings

Total Seal's patented Gapless ® Piston rings provide increased performance through unmatched sealing of the cylinder and combustion gasses in the combustion chamber. Increased horsepower and torque along with longer engine life are just a couple of the reasons why Total Seal's Gapless ® Piston rings are the best rings available. Here are many more.
Increased horsepower and torque
Longer engine life
Saves money (fewer teardowns)
Improved consistenny
Cleaner engine oil
Longer ring life
Better Oil control
Less friction
Lower engine oil temperatures
Wider torque curve
More engine vacuum
Increased intake signal

How it Works...

As shown in the illustration, compression gas is deflected by the rail into the piston groove and aid in pressure loading the ring throughout the 4 stroke cycle. At the same time the rail also and most importantly closes off the combustion gas leak path created by the ring end gap. This gap is the primary cause of blow-by in a 4 cycle engine. With a conventional type ring as the ring and cylinder wear the ring end gap increases and the blow-by figures increase. The Gapless® ring blow-by figures are not affected by this wear, as the ring end gap increases it is blocked by the rail portion of Total Seals patented interlocking 2 piece design stopping the blow-by at the source. Conventional style rings when newly installed will show leak down figures of 7% or higher these figures can quickly exceed 20% or higher after a surprisingly short period of time. Gapless® rings on the other hand when newly installed typically show leak down figures of 2% and lower and should remain the same throughout the life of the engine.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah that's what I thought it was - sorry bro, I could've just as easily looked that up.

I will do a leak down test for sure.

Thanks again

Doug

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the same motor brand new rebuilt and slated for the rigid - worse comes to worst, I throw that motor in the Electraglide and rebuild this motor later for the rigid . . . . nice to have options!!!
Also have a brand new Super E for that motor . . . although the stock Harley Carb works pretty good . . . what would that be? Not a Linkert I am sure????

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It just started happening this season when I fired it up for the first time. Last Fall it was not doing it when I put it up for the winter . . . haven't touched the cone or anything else except removed the battery.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay, so when I eliminated the breather filter and hose from the crankcase nipple, the problem ended.

As soon as I connected a new hose and filter the problem returned, suggesting I need to go with just a hose and no filter.

Questions:

1. With just a hose and no filter, won't crap get sucked up into the breather?
2. What length of just plain hose should I use?

Thanks,

Doug

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.