Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
while it has been done that way and will work for a while...

It's best if adapting one to the other type to use a hard spacer ring to fill the small gap on the 'o' ring half.
the band will otherwise just deform during use and compress into the leftover gap left creating problems later.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
The best band for sealing today is the red soft silicone type v twin an other sell them

we install it with the o rings in place - while i totally agree with the use of the square plastic filler to replace the o ring i only managed to install those when the heads were going on at the same time

and the aircraft clamps are a go to for me as well

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't have trouble sealing with either the o-rings or bands. As mentioned, the aircraft style clamps work the best, that I've found. If you have an o-ring style manifold you don't have to change it to use the bands. The ideal situation is to align the heads. With the head bolts loose install the manifold and tighten it to pull the heads into alignment with it. Then tighten the head bolts. You can get a tiny bit of rotation from the heads because of the clearance of the cylinder bolt holes. Of course, you probably don't want to do this unless the heads had to come off anyway for some other reason. However you install the manifold, do a bubble test after. Get a rubber stopper from a hardware store and put a hole in the center that you can insert a metal tube or something. I used the male filling for a quick connect air line. Connect to a source of compressed air set to about 15 psi. Rotate the engine so both intake valves are closed or remove the pushrods. Loosen the manifold clamps so they are still snug, but not really tight. Now take a spray bottle full of mild soapy water and spray all around the manifold while looking for bubbles (leaks). Tighten the clamps until there are no leaks. You'll never get the engine to run right if there are any intake leaks.

I've heard of people using both the o-rings and the bands on o-ring style manifold. I tried this once, but gave up because installation was a bitch and you should be able to get a good seal whichever type you use.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You can, but why would you do that? Use good clamps with your O rings, take your time. Once I get the O rings and clamps in place, I snug up one side, check the other, and make any adjustments before tightening both. I also run a piece of electrical tape ( only one layer ) over the ring and manifold. Make sure you use a carb. support and you won't have any problems.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You can, but why would you do that? Use good clamps with your O rings, take your time. Once I get the O rings and clamps in place, I snug up one side, check the other, and make any adjustments before tightening both. I also run a piece of electrical tape ( only one layer ) over the ring and manifold. Make sure you use a carb. support and you won't have any problems.
Yeah, that's the key. If you bubble test the installation, the manifold has to be in place exactly where it will be when in service. And the carb has to be firmly supported by a bracket - not the manifold.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts