Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a question that I am sure has been asked a thousand times but I have been researching this for a while and have had no luck on finding out information about the shovelhead motor I bought. I have seen plenty of shovel motors and I have seen lots of threads explaining how the numbers and letters in the serial number works but mine is one I have never seen.

I am wondering if possibly it was an after market case or a salvage number or something like that. " BC012401" is the full number on the case where all the other serial numbers have been located on all the other shovel motors I have seen. I bought it in British Columbia if that helps answer the question.

I was told by the seller it was an 80" 1981 year shovel but that was only his best guess answer.

The heads are 80" and it is a cone style. If anyone can lead me to some answers it would be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance......

·
Registered
335 Posts
According to my Harley service manual, for 1981 and later bikes, an abbreviated VIN is stamped on the right side crankcase near the front of the engine. It lists a sample as: AAKE01000. There is a chart indicating codes "BA", "BE", "BF", "BD", "BH", and "BG". There is no "BC". All of the other "B" codes are FX model bikes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
right next to the "B" there is a hole drilled... Possibly there was originally another number or two where the hole is..The only thing I could find for "BC" was FXS -80? I dont know if that makes any sense for this or not as well as the letter "B" is suppoced to indicate 1981? I just want to know for sure what I have so I wont have problems ordering parts and so on...

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
Pics are needed, but I suspect that you need to get your money back or contack the mountys, there should in no way be any holes in the vin block.

That motor is hot to the tutch!!

....Roach.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my bad, i went out to the shop to take a pic of the number and the hole is drilled in between the B and the C. "B" is the first letter and "C" is the fourth. The number would be a total of ten digits Sorry for the confusing explenation priar. I will attach a photo to show. Looks like someone had mounted something here using the drilled holes.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
4th letter C would be 82.
I don't guess this engine is in a frame that matches the numbers?
I don't know about in Canada, but in Texas if ANY of the numbers/letters are defaced you'd lose the engine at the first inspection.
But if you can live with it, I guess I can too.
Larry T

OK, I'm guessing BFKC, but.......................................

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
As you can see there was something mounted here. The holes are taped for threads too...Possibly the rectifier was mounted here or some other type of bolt on part?
Not from the factory.
Larry T

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, thats for sure. Some jack ass thought it would be a good place to mount something. I did get a good clean bill of sale with it though and have all info to go back to the previouse owner if I end up with any problems with regies.

Thanks Larry, I had guessed after closer inspection probably "BEKC or BFKC" as well.

LOL, I have been asking all sorts of guys I know about this thinking the number was "BC...." wow is my memory getting poor... Glad Destralo Roach mentioned to get a picture of it. Thanks all you guys for your info, I think I am on the right track now...

Hope this doesn't turn into an expensive learning curve *&#[email protected]**&^...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Recently a friend came into my shop with a right hand shovel case that had the same 2 threaded holes drilled in the same location. The serial number was stamped 3 inches lower and on the crankcase not on the cam chest. He said it was a 1980 FLT. The holes are for mounting the front exhaust pipe bracket. I had never seen a cone motor with the serial number in such a location and the number stamps used were the proper font. Seeing your engine, I suspect some drilled and tapped to fit a used replacement engine into a 1980 FLT. It probably got someones bike back on the road but in this day and age damaged serial numbers are always suspect.

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
Ok I feel better about the numbers now, like was said by others made for bracket in the wrong place, so in the future, get replacement cases, some one down the line is going to have problems with the law....Roach.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
if you can show any paperwork with the complete number on it might be possible to get it bluetagged and a replacement vin number issued.
that hole does not show evidence of number tampering,
Drilling a hole in you cases is dumb, being that dumb should be a felony.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree with Tony, unfortunately, it was done priar to me and I sure wouldn't have done such a dumb move myself. I know it would be pretty much impossible to get some original paperwork on it due to the old owner took the motor in trade for a paint job over ten years ago and had kept it as a spare for his shovel chop but never ended up using it. He finally purchased a decker and sold his old rigid. To make a long story short, he decided to sell his extras and I bought them up cause I am building my first chop. I know the fellow and I cant see him owning anything "Risky" so it seemed to be a no brainer for me to pick em' up.

Also thanks for the advice Roach. I will for sure look into some new cases..

PS: reffering to Bowdoinmachine - the numbers ARE on the front right side forward of the cone.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts