Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding home yesterday and my bike died out, wouldnt start back up, if i choked i, it would fire but bog once i gave it gas. So I tore the carb apart cleaned it out, nothing clogged, now when my key is turned on I have a weak spark, when its turned on to the lights on position I have no spark and no lights, my bike has an dyna digital ignition system, I'm thinking the ignition switch is out or I might have some wiring issues somewhere

·
Registered
170 Posts
x2, never just start taking shit apart without testing. charge your battery and then see if the bike will start. if it will your next step is to put a multimeter on it and make sure it has at least twelve volts at idle, roll on the throttle and it should climb to around 14 or so. if not check your stator to see if it is grounded out, you can also take off your inspection plate or derby cover and smell in there. if it smells like a burnt corpse your stator is toast. next check your voltage regulator. if your stator is bad replace it and also replace your regulator at the same time.If all the above checks good, look for a grounding problem on your wire harness as well as check the terminals on your battery.a broken wire can touch metal and ground out.what you are describing sounds like an electrical problem providing you dont have other problems as well i. e. fouled plugs,bad pluig wires, trash in fuel tank, etc etc. good luck and let us know.Diagnostics are key as you will run out of money throwing parts at it or pull your hair out trying to figure it out. always check one system at a time. charging ,fuel, etc at the end of the day you need fuel spark and compression and getting all three at the right time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm goong to check out everything you guys said when I get home, I also forgot to mention I think my battery arched on my seat pan, cause theres a scorch mark on the seat pan and the positive terminal

·
Registered
170 Posts
you were welding hahaha, listen alot can happen when you arc hot wires on metal, like burning up a regulator or stator or coil etc etc even a circuit breaker can be burnt that way. again check everything and then put some rubber beweet your battery post and seat, better yet just a rubber itself that way your are riding safe. just dont use a lubricated one as that might get messy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so i just got home, put a battery charger on it, lights turned on right away, kicked it over started after 4 kicks, I give it gas it bogs out and wants to die, so im going to clean out the carb again, not sure if that's what it is though, I cleaned it yesterday and it wasnt clogged, fuels coming out of the tank great

·
Registered
170 Posts
did you bring the battery to full charge and give it a charging system test or not? Im confused as to why you keep taking off a clean carb to clean it??have you looked at your plugs?there is an order in which to do things when it comes to this kinda shit and taking the carb off again and again is wasting time unless you have determined the issue is the carb, also if you are not very experienced with carb work you have more potential to make things worse rather than better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kept cleaning the carb since evertime I drained the gas out of the float bowl there was dirt, figured its not hard and doesn't take much time might as well check it again, also drained gas tank so just clean gas now, spark plugs are good, batterys bad so im replacing it tomorrow

1 - 16 of 16 Posts