Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first off i have not started the internals swap so not exactly sure what i have inside but have a 1970 alt motor with case damage, timing hole threads, motor mount breakage, primary lip broken so i picked up a 1981 case in good condition to swap out. i believe the earlier motors had a side oiling pinion shaft and later model has end oiling but if i use the early cam cover will i have troubles? i will double check the oil hole positions between the two cases as i believe there will be differences in the hole locations for the oil pump but as i mentioned i have not started the swap so old motor still in the bike. any other troubles anyone can think of before i open the can of worms? i realize the pinion bearing will need to be checked for fit and cam bearing replaced. i think the factory may have changed the thread size between the early and later model lifter bases also but unsure. this may end up being a winter project.

G

·
first off i have not started the internals swap so not exactly sure what i have inside but have a 1970 alt motor with case damage, timing hole threads, motor mount breakage, primary lip broken so i picked up a 1981 case in good condition to swap out. i believe the earlier motors had a side oiling pinion shaft and later model has end oiling but if i use the early cam cover will i have troubles? i will double check the oil hole positions between the two cases as i believe there will be differences in the hole locations for the oil pump but as i mentioned i have not started the swap so old motor still in the bike. any other troubles anyone can think of before i open the can of worms? i realize the pinion bearing will need to be checked for fit and cam bearing replaced. i think the factory may have changed the thread size between the early and later model lifter bases also but unsure. this may end up being a winter project.
The oil feed holes to the pinion shaft are in a diff. location...
Also the 81 case would need to run the 81-up oil pump.

The easy way to run the early crank in those cases would be to drill the pinion shaft for end oiling and run the 73-up cam cover....

The lifter block screws did get change to 1/4 X 20 in 1977....
No biggie there....A/M has them for doing the swap.
Your blocks should have taper holes....They make those taper screws in the later thread for running the early blocks....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
but as long as i run the early pinion/gear cover i will be ok correct or is it the oil hole location between the cover and case different ? and yep i thought the base screws and oil pump were different. thanks jim

G

·
but as long as i run the early pinion/gear cover i will be ok correct or is it the oil hole location between the cover and case different ? and yep i thought the base screws and oil pump were different. thanks jim
You can modify the early cover for a new feed hole location in order to keep the side oiler working.....

Would need to fill in the OG hole and redrill the new hole....

Some A/M company's made those in a dual pattern....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
damn no excuse for not figuring that out. maybe getting older than i realize. the stuff i ride the company forgot about years ago so when i need parts it is always aftermarket outfits. thanks guys. Jim

G

·
Dog-gone near a 1/4" from one hole to the other.....

What the A/M did was longate the hole....

I have photos of this....Will post them when I can find them...

damn no excuse for not figuring that out. maybe getting older than i realize. Jim
No Sweat......Shoot...

There for awhile I thought CL was a new Sportster model......It was for Crag's List....:p

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
So as not to start a new thread, and somewhat along the lines of the original post......and a Good Jesse ? What are the pros and cons of running the single caged pinion bearing (always thought it was an Evo only bearing) in a late Cone shovel vs. the original 2 piece loose bearing style?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Either one can be used,fitment procedures are diff for the one piece bearing.I prefer the cage style,bearings are located 180 degreese from each other allowing a more precise fit in my eyes.one piece has a tollorence for speced bearings to fall in.allows for a greater wear limit. S&S exclusivly uses one piece bearings in all their motors,cheeper to manufacture also.

·
Registered
439 Posts
if your going to up date the cases, why not take advantage of the better/later oiling system? the 70 oil pump will not work on 81 cases, any 81-91 will. chances are everything needs a good lookie see with the crank pin, rods and rollers anyway. you will need to re fit the pinion rollers doing the swap at the least, might as well stick in a 73-80 pinion shaft and a 73-91 cam cover. cutting corners to save a few dollars will cost more in the long run.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.