Jockey Journal Forum banner
101 - 120 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Congratulations on Norrtälje - tough competition, well deserved. I like split rockers too and this reminded me of Sami's Shovel trike from a few years back at Norrtälje, I watched the video of him doing it on the mill and I think yours turned out just as nice and more organic looking which fits with this bike. Nice work (and for me, all the more cool for the simple tools used to achieve it).

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Mounting a support bearing to four speed. Some spacers needed.

I had to place the battery somewhere and decided to use the support bearing spacer cap for battery tray.

Spring loaded support and it's done.

I also added some stiffness for the compensator. Low cost solution compared to buying a replacement.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
I had the frame powder coaded with flake silver. Easy process, but outcome was not good. The coating was a bit transparent and welding fixing brass came thru.

So powder coat became a primer. I converted my shop to painting studio.

Base is plain silver metallic. Then acrylic two component lacquer.

Too much base in over the oil tank and it had to be repainted.

After paint drying the best part of the bike build. Putting it together.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I am enjoying this thread so much. I'm so happy you have high quality pictures. Those rockers makes me wanna get a shovel... dammit!

Lester

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Some more pics of the assembly. It's just fantastic to put the bike together and see how it looks.

Pipes are now chromed and they fit nicely.

Oil tank, oil filter and oil lines.

At this point I'm painting the tank and fender

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Managed to get the fender and tank painted and I could continue putting pieces together.

Main switch and the only switch on the bike.

Petcock and fuel level indicator.

Had to modify the petcock for the hose first

I have a habit to cut and polish the stainless bolt heads with an angle grinder. Like the one holding the tank. It only takes a couple of minutes per bolt and they look cool and handmade, since they are all a bit different.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Small side project a while ago with kicker arm. It was sticking out and I decided to fix it.

I cut like 80% of the arm and then bent it. Material is very fragile and it's easy to cut the arm in two pieces.

Getting there. I welded the cuttings all the way thru. Meaning that the arm was weld also "inside", not just from the surface.

This is how it looks like now. I was sure it will get cut at the first kick, but it been kicked probably a thousand times and no problem.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Thans for your comments again!

Making axle sleeves.

Putting the springer together.

Lamps and wiring

I swapped these handle bars soon with stainless steel ones just because these were terrible to ride.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
This story start to at the point where the bike is ready to ride.

These bars look cool, but were difficult to ride.

The tank and the fender was pinstriped.

I made new bars of 22mm stainless. These look also fine and brought a huge improvement on handling.

This is an "accident" shot, but came out nice

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
What an amazing build!!!!!!!!
My ALL TIME FAVORITE looooooong bike!
Rezi... got anything for us on the internal throttle?

Lester

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Really nice Rezi, thanks for doing this thread. The bright green grips on the new bars look just right! Those old bars looked cool but a little scary for handling I imagine.
Yep. Scary is the right word to describe riding with those bars.

What an amazing build!!!!!!!!
My ALL TIME FAVORITE looooooong bike!
Rezi... got anything for us on the internal throttle?

Lester
This bike has "standard commercial" internal throttle. Perhaps you mix it with a home made throttle on my other bike. I have shown it before here in JJ.

The red bobber is just now having a minor modification:):)

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Ahhh yes you are right about the throtle.

Looks like another build thread in the pipe lines as well

Lester

101 - 120 of 137 Posts