Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting a new build thread. I have been posting some details of this project before here, but let's show the whole process. The bike is competed and used for one summer already, so this is a kind of history story. I build bikes in my small shop using kind of primitive tools. I have a tiny lathe, tig welder, angle grinders + some other hand tools.

Forgive me if I write bad English.

This is where I started. Hard tailed 1976 Shovel with STD casings, cow pile tranny, SS Super E and Fat Boy fork. 16" front and 15" rear.

18 months and a huge amount of hours later it now looks like this.

It's been driven a few thousand miles now. Cool bike to ride:)

Back in time two years to the starting moments.

Could not avoid trying Sporty tank and big 19" wheel

Then into pieces.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
This is going to be great..... the details you have shown us already is breath taking and very inspiring since, as you say, you use primitive tools... that most of us have.

I can't wait to watch my favorite long chop be built!

Lester
Norway

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Oil tank, and rims are on here for sure.... if you cann't wait til Rezi posts you can hunt them down in the "lets see some fab. work" thread.

Lester

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I made a simple frame jig. This jig allows me to keep the rear tire on and understand the frame positioning and ground clearance.

The jig is not really a welding jig, but better than nothing.

This pic shows roughly how much the frame will be stretched. It's 6" up and 2" forward.

iPhone has an angle meter app. Unreliable at those angles. Actual frame rake is 53 degrees.

Some of the earlier frame modifications were pretty ugly.

Nothing to destroy with this frame. Who ever did this should not weld motorcycles.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I cut the frame.

Looks like a dead cow.

In the jig.

I wanted to keep the neck casting even it looks bad

I took off the ugliest portion of the neck casting and started to get the rake closer.

Slitely bent down tubes coming along.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not sure if my story is too detailed and boring, but I will still continue with the same format.

I lifted the engine in the frame to see how close the down tubes are

Lots of work with the neck casting

Finding the frame lines. Had to mount tranny and fuel tank. Seeing something that is closer to a compete bike gives motivation:)

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Rezi, This is a great build thread. Please keep the details and I love that you are covering every step. That neck work is great.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts