Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am freshening up a 71 shovelhead. New jugs and pistons rings.
I am looking at the bottom end before splitting it ( would like to not if I don’t need to) end play in the rods is good but when I crank the engine by hand it kinda sounds like there a clicking sounds. Nothing crazy and it feels smooth. Does this seem normal? I’m not an expert just and it seems good, no up down play etc. just this rotation sounds a bit more on the cone side. Any ideas?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I am freshening up a 71 shovelhead. New jugs and pistons rings.
I am looking at the bottom end before splitting it ( would like to not if I don’t need to) end play in the rods is good but when I crank the engine by hand it kinda sounds like there a clicking sounds. Nothing crazy and it feels smooth. Does this seem normal? I’m not an expert just and it seems good, no up down play etc. just this rotation sounds a bit more on the cone side. Any ideas?
Remove the cone, pull the lifters, breather gear, and cam. Reinstall the compensator (or drive sprocket) and alternator rotor and snug them up to load the Timken bearings.While you're at it, remove the oil pump too. Now check it again. Eliminate any other possible source of sounds. If you still have clicking noises, your bearings might be bad and need to be checked and replaced if needed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts