Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking for a shovel, i spoke to a guy whos got an 81 in a jammer hardtail frame, 80inch with some cam work by dudleys basement in LI, PM rear brakes, dual disc wide glide, 19 inch and 21 inch for the front, says it runs real good, SS carb, any advice? the proce seems to be just right and could probably pick it up for about 6500.things to look out for with later shovels?? anybody??

krapp

p.s pictures of your dogs would also be appreciated

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Yeah, the 81 jammer would have a 4 speed in it. You can generally tell how the bikes been cared for by the little details: Oil line fittings, correct sized lockwashers here and there, etc.81 shovels were good engines. Ask him if the lifters are hydraulic or solids. I don't know anything about the cams you mentioned but alot of aftermarket cams only work with solid lifters. Nothing wrong with running solids. The price is in the ballpark. I just scored a S&S shovel with a paugho frame and VL springer for $5500 but need to title and assemble it. I was more helping out a friend in need than dickering out a price. Your $6500 for an assembled bike is good. And jammer was a good frame back then. If you don't like it, you can always sell it on the west coast and make a couple of grand. Here's two of my dogs chasing me up the path.

Attachments

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
justinNY said:
that's a decent price considering it's gonna have to have a custom title in most states. that would be my biggest concern.

ya thats th ekicker, i asked the guy what tis titled as and he says its still titled as an 81 HD, not custom. i know about the whiole frame and engine numbers matching, guy says he never had a problem. im going to see it friday, and see how deep in crap it is. even if he has the frame MSO i would title it myself, but he did the frame conversion in the early 90s i believe and has ridden it since. more advice

1 - 5 of 5 Posts