Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well WTH, just like the title sez. Back in early July I shagged this 77 FXE. Numbers are good, they match, good paper, cheap, why not. As I said in the pic topic it was an all too common story, a buddy took it apart, never came back. Seems about 99+% complete just missing a few hardware pcs and needs new gaskets. It was pretty fk'n filthy too. Still sorta is but I roughed in a quicky wash.

So far I have the clutch cleaned and fitted, secured the starter solenoid and found some sketchy wires. About 3 repairs and I can avoid a whole new harness. The rest looks fine. Picked up a manual so it's time to really let the games begin.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Automotive tire Tread Wood Wheel
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Wheel Alloy wheel
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So leading into the next episode I'll be soda blasting the gear case and primary covers. I'm buried in a Packard V-12 prep at the moment and midsummer MI humidity is murder. Turns out it has electronic ignition (Dynatek) and an Andrews A cam too. Just shagged an Excelsior 5.00-16 for the rear. Hate that crotch rocket look on newer tires. Looks like a matching 19" for the front is available too. While my cosmetic changes are not job 1 I will do some things as I roll along. Man, I hate the seat too. Not my style. If Mrs Jocko thinks she might ride again I'll reupholster, but the solo/drag bar look is winking at me lately. More to come...

·
Motorcycle dipshit
4,092 Posts
Andy will be along soon enough to administer an official pee-pee slap, but I suspect you'll have better engagement with your peers if you put all this shit in one post ("build thread") and don't make multiples.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, this is the build thread. I asked for opinions and tech in others, but the bike itself will happen here start to finish. If the reference is to my cam and drag bar threads I didn't wish to place them here because I thought they were part specific, would asist others, and get an opinion piece going about an aspect not 100% related to just mine. If have to pronoun here too I might just walk...o_O

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, I didn't give up yet. I've had a wide glide rear fender and struts for a long time, since my 72 FX and I never put it on. It fits, I like it. Now the seat looks like a fk'n booster chair at the diner! Eeww...
Fuel tank Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wheel

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle

Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle Fender Wheel

Even just putting on a fender and my hands look black as a damn telephone. Had enough. I degreased and pressure washed everything as good as it can be for now. Still get a little dirty but nothing like before. Poor thing...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took a few shots of how well it cleaned up. I can see things now. Still a bit nasty but I can do the ol wax n grease remover wipe and brush act. Got the tire mounted too. Got rid of that freakin crotch rocket lookin thing and put an old school belted 5.00/5.25 16 Excelsior in it's place. Yeah, I know that tire isn't conducive to running high speed S turns and running twisty roads at 70 MPH. Fine by me, my fun will mostly be straight line shit anyways. A few clean pics, need to take better ones of the tire so I'll pop those in later. Progress. Slow, but progress. Time to spend some $$$ now.
Automotive tire Bicycle part Bicycle fork Wood Bicycle chain
Automotive tire Auto part Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Wood Rim
Automotive tire Wood Tread Musical instrument Gas

Ok, minor technical question. That janky black pipe mod to the ex hanger has to go. In pictures it looks like an FL/FLH ex hanger will work but books and parts catalogs say no. Am I missing something? Frame mounts are there so what gives? Thanks...

·
Registered
408 Posts
All of the exhaust mounts for those years are the same in the area where they mount to the frame, but there are a bunch of different configurations depending on the exact exhaust you want to run. I've ended up having to modify them to hit the mounts on custom pipes a bunch of times. If you can find a stock one that fits with your exhaust, you're golden. If not, they're real easy to modify or make. Just get that piece of threaded black iron pipe out of there, LOL.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess it's worth the 40 bucks or so to get a proper hanger 1st and see what's up. My drags are on circle clamps as usual and really those do offer a wide range of adjustment. FL hanger it is, thanks Whizz...✊

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
The janky black pipe mod of which you speak: Is that the minor atrocity in your first pic (post #10)? That's an exhaust hanger? Good God. Even I wouldn't do that. Somebody out there needs beating with a big plank.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Soda blast done on the outer primary and timing gear covers. Some of the minor scrapes on the primary sanded away easily, 1 in the front needed a light fill with JB Weld. I did a little bit of playing around with a grey scotchbrite pad on a straight line sander, high speed, light touch. It's actually not far from a nearly restored stock surface look. Might even get that using the soda from the dust collector as a finer media, for those restoring. Still going wrinkle black tho. Pics: I'm curious about this plate welded into the back of the timing cover. In today's vernacular, s'up wit dat?
Rim Automotive tire Metal Automotive wheel system Auto part
Composite material Gas Auto part Circle Metal
Gas Font Automotive exterior Auto part Metal

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yep, oil separator baffle for the crank case breather system. On the crank down stroke, the breather gear opens up and it pushes air into the cam cavity, that air goes into the nose cone behind the plate, through a passage in the nose cone to the tube sticking out of it, into the breather cavity in the case, reverses direction in the cavity and then turns again into the tube in the case that leads to the breather outlet fitting. All these twists and turns and baffles help separate the oil from the air and get it returned to the tank.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Moving along, I did more aluminum cleaning and soda blasting. The upper master cylinder wasn't seized and cleaned up nice, ready for a kit, so I went ahead and got a 1st step going. After a full degrease and scrub it got blasted and came out ok. But, all black wrinkle seemed boring. How would the switch box look polished out, THEN wrinkle the rest? We gonna find out. And of course had to do the other side. Other than getting a kit in the master they're ready for tape n paint. Boxes getting checked...;)

Some more pics, a little before n after and the final prep for the primary cover.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper Automotive lighting

Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Hood Vehicle

Snout Helmet Wood Auto part Art

Camera accessory Fender Wheel Auto part Automotive tire

Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Since I was in the 'hood working on the switch boxes I decided to just replace the handlebar wiring completely. I don't why so many feel a need to muller up and rethink what works. Clipped off wires, butt connectors cuz, ?, front brake light wiring removed, not a lot of which makes any real sense. To review I've not run this thing, can't tell ya if this mess of leftover fruit pasta even worked, but my instinct is to usually follow the OEM parameters and let it eat. I can get all I need for $30 from J&P so why not. I couldn't begin to just repair what I have for that price. Another box checked.

As an assist for those who may need it, the wire keepers going in on the back side of the headlight, they're a PITA at 1st but I sorted it out having no reference to go by. I took pics, but the bottom pops away from the main body to extract the run of harness outta there. Just gently pry the whole unit up then separate, as seen below. Though of later, it would have been easier if I'd hit em with a hair dryer 1st, the idea being warm plastic is easier to flex. It was a bit chilly yesterday.

I guess I might as well get bars too😏 Like I said, in the 'hood...
Fashion accessory Auto part Metal Electronics accessory Composite material
Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design
Automotive tire Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle handlebar Wood
Jewellery Wire Natural material Metal Fashion accessory
Gas Electrical wiring Auto part Technology Machine

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think this will look good once done. I left the switch section bright and wrinkled the rest. I'm using good old school VHT wrinkle black. Both bar control boxes will be the same and new labels will finish it all off.
Bumper Wood Automotive design Automotive exterior Hardwood
Bumper Automotive design Office supplies Auto part Wood

Keeping black wrinkle clean? Old trick that works like a charm. Cheap hair shampoo like Prell or the like with a soft paint brush and it rinses and drys like brand new. Just a lil tip I thought I'd share. More to come...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts