Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, well im looking at getting a shovel, and have never owned a HD before, and am trying to get an idea of what the motor rebuild is gonna be like. This fall i got a non running triumph (but still assembled) and with wes's dvd, rebuilt the thing from the cases up (sent out the machine work). My question is, how does a unit triumph rebuild compare to a big twin rebuild? How much are the specialty tools in comparison? I know ill need to send out the machine work, but is the overall cost in the same ball park as a brit from the crank up? I take pride in touching every nut and bolt on a bike and engine to understand it, so im just trying to figure out the cost a little better. oh and yes i did search nothing too great:D
thanks

·
Registered
315 Posts
Price wise it's going to be similar. Just to do the shovel top end you won't need any special tools (since you will have someone do the machine work)

A IMO it doesn't get much simpler than a shovel, if you have some mechanical skills and a good manual it's to easy.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
$2500 to rebuild a shovel motor, you need some special tools/jigs but most of the work you can do your self, but some things your going to have to get a shop to do or pony up some bucks for the tools.....Roach.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
$2500 to rebuild a shovel motor, you need some special tools/jigs but most of the work you can do your self, but some things your going to have to get a shop to do or pony up some bucks for the tools.....Roach.
got thats the info i was looking for. but from my understanding a well cared for big twin bottom end can be pretty tough and take some miles?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
...When I approached my friend about building my first Harley, I had the same questions...he said a Shovel was a good choice...
But leaks with the primary can be a bitch if you don't have some one explain primary assembly, and motor/trans bolt down.....I put a 1 1/2 belt drive ($350) on to eliminate this problem...
The worse problem is I made the mistake of saying I would love to build a old WWII type Flathead bobber...he asked me when I wanted to start..he has everything in the back...cases,cranks, frame, trans......the price was right too....just have to find the funds....Man my wife is gonna be pissed!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.