Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll keep doing these as I build this bike as long as people are interested. Here it is after I welded braces on the front motormount and under the seatpost, with the motor and temporary tranny in:

I'm making some integral risers to weld onto the bars. I also think I'm gonna run 7/8" bars and sleeve the bars for the controls/throttle.

Here it is with a gas tank mockup. I'm not using this tank, but wanted to see how it would look:

The gas tank and neck brace are my next two projects, which should take a long time.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Looks good! but it looks a little awkward where the tubes are cut off in front of the seat post tube will you be blending them into the single?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can't tell from that angle because the brackets that have all the support follow the curve of the downtube, but here is what the downtube looks like where it meets the seat post from a top view:

As you can see, it would be hard to completely blend the downtube into the seat post without radical surgery, which I don't feel the need to undertake. It's just part of the limitation of using a BT frame.

BTW, this was before I cleaned up the welds--the top part is wire feed, the side brackets are all tig welded. When all the fabrication is done, I'll clean it up so it doesn't look so ghetto.

yard man said:
Looks good! but it looks a little awkward where the tubes are cut off in front of the seat post tube will you be blending them into the single?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi there. Looks interesting. Have you thought about placing the gastank between frame and engine (mounting under the top-tube) instead on top of the frame? I think that would support the lines of the frame really good and make it look even more different.

·
Registered
618 Posts
looks great!

what if you slugged some half loops (symmetrical on both sides) into the rear, then welded 'em to the downtube?

just a thought...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just by the way...if you´re welding your own frame - or modifying a stock one that radical, are you still street-legal with it? Our vehicle-inspection (TÜV) over here in germany would kill you if you come around the corner with a scoot like that! :D Or do you just don´t care?

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
Gerry said:
Hi there. Looks interesting. Have you thought about placing the gastank between frame and engine (mounting under the top-tube) instead on top of the frame? I think that would support the lines of the frame really good and make it look even more different.
Tried a photoshop....I don't think it's better

Attachments

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Nah, I'm running it on the backbone. I like the awkwardness of the frisco mounted tank. Besides, the space underneath will get somewhat filled by the top motor mount and neck brace. And like I said, I'm not running that tank, so the actual tank I build will look better mounted on top of the backbone. Trust me on this one.

As for legality, as long as the ID numbers aren't fucked with and you have the title, MSO or bill of sale (some states require bonding without the title or MSO), you can pretty much do what you want, at least in my state. I would trust the welds I'm putting in this thing 100 times more than the ones from the manufacturer, though. I doubt it would meet the TUV standards, which I understand are very stringent.

Gerry said:

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm using those holes as mounting points for my mid controls, so I need them open. Also, I want to preserve the full loop of the downtube all the way underneath.

aj650 said:
looks great!

what if you slugged some half loops (symmetrical on both sides) into the rear, then welded 'em to the downtube?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Nah, I'm running it on the backbone. I like the awkwardness of the frisco mounted tank. Besides, the space underneath will get somewhat filled by the top motor mount and neck brace. And like I said, I'm not running that tank, so the actual tank I build will look better mounted on top of the backbone. Trust me on this one.
Jep...of course. It was just an idea and not an attempt to be a smart ass.
So I´ll curious check the next steps of the process. :)

About the TÜV here...you´re not allowed even to weld a simple mounting, clamp or whatever to the frame or remove something like that from it...but that´s another story.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey hatch--any chance you could photoshop the pic without the tank to remove all background except the bike? I would like to use that to draw up my gas tank/exhaust/motormount ideas before building them. Thanks.

hatch said:
Tried a photoshop....I don't think it's better

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It kind of is, although not intentionally. Those gooseneck bikes are fun, but above 90 mph they are a nightmare to ride. I wanted my next bike to be able to go 120 mph all day with no issues, so when I picked up the big-inch shovel, it all kinda fell together.

Polock Joe said:
Looks like the arch nemesis to the gooseneck bike.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts