Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The oil pump on my '79 shovel is a clusterfuck. There's small oil lines with screws in the ends and wire twisted around them and a piece of 3/8 line that has a bolt in the end of it that leaks oil all the time. Besides having to fix all that shit, one hose is longer than the rest and runs back to just past the kicker and stops. Best we can figure this is the breather line. Problem is that oil spurts out of this line when cranking the bike over. The spurts match the cranking compression strokes, ie.. more spurts on that stroke. Is there a check valve on this that could be stuck?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Lilbill,Just let him know the seat on his oil pump check valve is bad.you can fix by buying two new balls, taking one and installing and giving it a tap with a drift.This check ball rest on an aluminum seat so it doesn't take much to reseat it.Remove that ball with a magnet on a stick and throw it away.Put the second new ball in and you should have corrected the problem.The factory uses this setup because the oil tank is above the pump and gravity will fill the bottom end up with oil when the check ball goes bad.You might notice this when the bike has set awhile.When trying to start an engine with bottom end filled with oil it has to go somewhere and out the breather is the place with the least resistance.The problem with the other leaks isn't anything that I could help Spiderman with but I let him know that the little hose used to go to the chain oiler and the other hose that's blocked off could have been the hose that kept the primary full.That way you can fill the primary with it's own oil and not use the motor oil for primary use.I wasn't trying to keep this tip from anyone but when you start talking about buying new balls someone will say something stupid LOL.Later,Frosty

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I've even heard of welding a rod to a check ball and lapping the seat. It doesn't matter though, bottom line is that if you let it set to long without cranking it---it's gonna blow oil out of the breather tube until the bottom end purges the oil it's collected.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Larry,The lapping idea works good if the pump is off the engine.I have concerns with lapping compound going through engine.Can't be good.I've had luck using the tap the ball (there you go lilbill) way of fixing,Frosty

1 - 7 of 7 Posts