Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how many of you people keep up with my blog, and I'll assume very few, so I thought I'd start a thread of my winter fun.

I started off with my 1980 FXWG I bought last year. Converted to belt final, 98" S&S kit (4 .75" flywheels, 3.625" bore) and enough 80's show flare to be the centerpiece at a Def Leppard concert. It was painted back in the late 80's by a guy named John (I have his full name in an article somewhere) who died last July. He didn't have a computer, lived off wood heat, etc.

When I bought it (check out that disco seat):

I needed a new front tire bad and decided that I wanted to redo the wheels. I powder coated some rims off white, got some Speedmasters, some stainless spokes from from Buchanan, and sanded the chrome on the hub. I decided at the same time to take the chrome down on the lowers and I like the way it came out...more than brushed. I also tossed on some short risers, a Bare Bones seat, some different grips/stock pegs and my NOS mirror.

I decided about the same time since it was a belt primary that I would open up a stock outer since the outer I had was some shitty V-Twin Chinese crap:

Well, as winter rolled around more and more things were bothering me. The headlight was cutting in and out, the rear base gasket was leaking, the trans main seal was leaking, the brake light didn't work...and then the front rocker box gasket decided to let loose. It was the middle of December and time for me to start tearing down and rebuilding. Finally after the Holidays, I had time.

I started from the back and made my way forward:

I finally decided to lace the back wheel to match the front after I had it all apart. I had a few beers last Wednesday and had balls to try my first lacing job:

After a long weekend of busting my ass this weekend, here is where I am:

I'm leaving the 80's metallic blue on the frame, but am changing to 3.5 gallon tanks, a new rear fender and the little cut-down piece I made for the front. Those are alll being resprayed, but I haven't totally decided on colors.

The 'Ol 98er.

I decided to treat all of the chrome with the same sanding/scrubbing technique as the fork lowers.

There is plenty more to come, including a new Baker 4 speed and some other goods. I'll keep this post going as I get it back together.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's looking really good, man. I was jealous when you bought that thing, thought i was nice as it sat, but it's loooking way better. At first, I wasn't real sure on the off white powder, but it looks killer in the pic looking up at the front end. Is the bike in the background finished (AMF tank)?
I wasn't sure about the hoops at first either, but I had to roll the dice and be different. EVERYONE does black, and my project and my last bike both don black wheels.

No way on the other bike. That's my long term project. I hope to have it done this year though. I have the motor for that one apart on my bench right now. That's getting all of the good stuff, so it's taking a while. That's a single downtube, 30 degree rake, 140 rear CFL. '77 74" engine that I'm hotrodding, 6 speed Baker Frankentranny, kick only, Primo 1.5" belt drive, Brembo brakes and hand controls...a money pit.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
lookin' sharp

my .02 - lose the colored anodized fittings. they really take away from any paint scheme

keep us posted with progress, thanks
I agree about the fittings. Wonder what they lool like under the anodizing, and could ya somehow make 'em match your "brushed chrome" look. It'd be a helluva nice little detail if ya could.

·
Registered
376 Posts
lookin real nice.. i like the quality of your pictures.. what camera? just sub'd to your blog.. looks like you got some cool shit on there.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The garage was a mess, so I had to start cleaning it up.

I have to get a little service cart for my motor today...there is way too much clutter on this bench.

·
Registered
195 Posts
if you are thinking of getting rid of them anodized oil lines, PM me. I'll take em off your hands.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.