Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When did they switch from gen to cone? Are they basically the same minus the generator/ stator?

THX
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,257 Posts
Shovel answers

shovel answers :

you can move more gravel or hot asphalt with a square point shovel ..

you can dig faster in sand dirt or mud with a round point shovel ..

generator : '66>'69 (the so-called "flat-side")

alternator (cone) : '70>'84 ..

cyls-up basically the same, lowerends apple/orange ..

change in early '70's on pinion oiling/(cone)cover design also ..

oops going to pm's ..

.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
 

·
TI_Tuesday
Joined
·
1,247 Posts
generator shovels were made from '66-'69, alternator cases came along in '70. yes- big differences for parts interchageability.

one common thread seems to be the heads, they are interchangable '66-'79

good book to get for these types of questions is: "what fits what on HD motorcycles" by Mike Arman and Kurt Heinrichs.

it covers 1936-1983.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Shovel answers

Dragon said:
shovel answers :

you can move more gravel or hot asphalt with a square point shovel ..

you can dig faster in sand dirt or mud with a round point shovel ..
.
Finally...some one with some good info around here. I was starting to lose hope in this place.

I just picked up that book on Amazon so hopefully I'll come back with some better questions in a couple of weeks. THX
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
tom said:
one common thread seems to be the heads, they are interchangable '66-'79
Actually, you can stick early heads on late motors and vice-versa.
Any year Shovelhead will fit on any other year Shovelhead.

Yes, the guides, intake manifold, and intake seals
are different, but short of that, it just doesn't matter.

Depending on the year of the generator cases, there's
more that's interchangeable than there is that's not.

1969 was the first year for big Timkins, so that's interchangeable, too.
(argueably the best and strongest bottom end, ever)

As well, you can upgrade all of them to late
model (Evo style) pinion races and bearings, *easily*.
Same with oil pumps.

Basically, cam and other superfluous gears
(generator and idler) are what won't transfer.

I've got a 1969 Shovel, with Evo pinion race and bearings,
Evo style oil pump, wearing late model heads and rockers.
Getting ready to put Evo lifter blocks in it, too...

Best,

Weyland
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
909 Posts
Polock Joe said:
When did they switch from gen to cone? Are they basically the same minus the generator/ stator?

THX
keep in mind trannys are different also - due to addition of alternator cant use a flatside tranny with a cone nose motor
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
Richiepan said:
keep in mind trannys are different also - due to addition of alternator cant use a flatside tranny with a cone nose motor
actually the trannys are the same, just swap out the main shaft for the longer '70 & newer one. all other tranny parts are the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
801 Posts
Weyland said:
I've got a 1969 Shovel, with Evo pinion race and bearings,
Evo style oil pump, wearing late model heads and rockers.
Getting ready to put Evo lifter blocks in it, too...
You going to hydraulic lifters, a la S&S, so you can do away with the exterior oil lines?
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top