Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes yes we all know about the bashing but the motor mount decks on a knuckle are narrower necessitating the front motor mount spacer when put in later frame. and the inverse all of a sudden clicked in my mind today. i've always known to mount motor with the rear mount and shim the front but with the different deck heights it seems you'd have to do the reverse procedure in the case of a later motor in an earlier frame. anyone care to chime in on the situation?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Aside from clearancing the seatpost and backbone around the rear head, there is nothing else you need to do to fit a pan or shovel motor in a knuckle frame.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I ran a Shovel Head in a knuckle frame for years back in the early seventies. Never shimmed any mounts. Engine never broke but eventually the frame started to come apart in the tranny area. Just cut off the rear of the knuckle frame and welded it to a 60's shovel frame. No problems after that.

Jerry

·
Registered
692 Posts
Im running Panhead motor in a stock '47 Knuck frame. As above, other than clearancing the seat tube and a bit of the upper frame rail, it dropped right in.

Typical beercan shims under the front mount was all that was necessary.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Yep alittle pounding on the seat post and the back bone, and it will slip right in. I still hear the old timer back in 1972 yelling at me for that. when I did that to a sweet knuckle frame back in the day. But had to do what I needed to get on the road. Got pan frame now, that knuckle frame was turned into a motor stand a few years later thanks to a toyota..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts