Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a set of shovelhead cases that are titled with my frame and was planning on using them to build my engine. Anyone ever built a shovelhead from the cases up? Is it stupid expensive? Would it be cheaper to spend the 5 or 6 grand on a complete S&S or some other quality "replica"? I really don't want to deal with the special construction aspect and would like to keep it titled as a HD and not a S/C. I've rebuilt motorcycle engines before, but this will be my first complete overhaul and my first big twin.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Voneville said:
I've got a set of shovelhead cases that are titled with my frame and was planning on using them to build my engine. Anyone ever built a shovelhead from the cases up? Is it stupid expensive? Would it be cheaper to spend the 5 or 6 grand on a complete S&S or some other quality "replica"? I really don't want to deal with the special construction aspect and would like to keep it titled as a HD and not a S/C. I've rebuilt motorcycle engines before, but this will be my first complete overhaul and my first big twin.
i belive most state have or will soon be a frame staTE {TITLE STAYS WITH FRAME} so a aftermarket engine should not affect that...but id rebuild the oem matching cases unless going big.....keep it sweet and correct.....we encourage our guys to keep a copy of the mso in case they run into barney fife when aftermarket cases are used...

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dr. Jett said:
If you are not trying to go crazy, buy some used stuff on ebay, buy a super-sidewinder kit from S&S, you will find you can be in it for about 3k if you shop smart.
cool, yea, not trying to go crazy. Reliable is cool, it will already be quick because it's gonna be fairly light compared to a stock FL...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.