Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend is curious to what this is from? No abbreviated vin on the top of the case just the inside # . Wondering what year it might have been from and why
no stamping on top ? If you look closeup you can see casting # inside its EQ4 24585 84 213 . Anybody care to take a crack, and no im not putting it up for sale :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Look at the VIN area really closely. I'm talking good light and magnifying glass close. Or take a few well lit digital pictures with the best camera available to you and blow them up x10 on your computer screen. Look at nearby machined surfaces to see if they look like they may have been hit by a coarse sandblaster or shot peened. Just because there is no abbreviated VIN there now doesn't mean there never was. I'm always suspicious of blank cases, although that doesn't mean there are no legit ones out there.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Is it a complete set or just the pinion side? Remember that after 1980 the vin number (not to be confused with the serial number) was stamped on the sprocket side of the case. When you get a new set of cases from the MOCO, they only want the numbered side. So...there are case halves out there that are not stolen. If it is a complete set then I guess I'd have to agree with Dragstews.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've got a similar looking set of cases myself.When I bought my Shovel in 1980 ,from a Deputy Sheriff,it had been previously stolen from him.The thieves had ground down the case and roughed it up and did a fair job of concealing the grinding.It was recovered and returned the the aforementioned Deputy Sherrif who had Harley-Davidson of Jackson,Ms.re-stamp the cases with the correct factory stamps.The numbers looked factory but the case was still a little "jacked up" looking.I knew all this when I bought it and had paperwork to back it up.The frame wasn't touched yet so it was still virgin stock.Even so I was hassled by the cops on a couple of occasions about the questionable engine numbers.As the years went by the paperwork,that I had laminated and carried in my wallet,deteriorated from riding in rain and just being folded up in a wallet.During this last rebuild I decided to change to Delkron cases and avoid the hassle.Not worth losing your bike over a set of "altered" cases.That's when I got my friend Jesse(Dragstews) to build me a 98" engine.The point of all this is you can easily lose a lot of hard work and money if you run into the wrong cop that doesn't like the way those numbers look and at the least get your bike hauled off on a wrecker to the impound.It's a sick sight to see a bike on the "hook" being hauled away.Like I said.Good Luck.

Glenn

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
ahh, thats why I asked the question here. I never really gave it a thought about them being hot and didnt inspect closely for signs of grinding. Dave insisted there was a specific year that didnt have #s on top but i thought if legit it might have been a replacement case from Hd unstamped or something.
Dark Goat its just the pinion side.

I am betting on the numbers being removed now, and EVO. Thats the most likely scenario. Thanks gentlemen always interesting and informitive, Ken.

of course my buddy is such a blockhead he thinks he has this rare case that they didnt # one year and its worth alot of $... Cant tell him anything. Her doesnt know that cases without #s are more likely problems than anything.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well....

For street use would be one big headache...

But for out in the woods..... :eek: ....

Yea, thats my take . Hes a guy thats been around harleys forever but never really had to play the #s game before he has an OG 66 he bought in 69 and few other bikes bought off the showroom floor. He still contends he has a special piece and everybody worth their salt should agree... We love em anyway, :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.