Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So all you guys out there on shovels, I'm curious to what you have found to be the best carb to run. I'm mainly concerned with responsiveness/performance and not so worried about ease of use or adjustment.

Joey

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
The S&S E's are about as good as they get.

If you want to run a stock carb, Keheins (however it's spelled) off late shovels and early Evo's will work ok too. I never tried a CV, but I know you can get good results with them on an Evo, no reason they wouldn't work on a shovel too.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm running an E right now. And more then likely I just don't have it set up right. But it's not the most responsive carb I've ever used. It works great if you are WOT and want to dump fuel in the chamber but other then that it's kind of slow to respond.

It's probably just my ignorance though.

·
TI_Tuesday
1,247 Posts
I like s&s e becuase its simple...if you want more performance and tunability you could always add a thunder-jet to it.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Joey said:
So all you guys out there on shovels, I'm curious to what you have found to be the best carb to run. I'm mainly concerned with responsiveness/performance and not so worried about ease of use or adjustment.

Joey
have used Mukuni and S&S super E on my shovel ( 88 in.) I like the S&S best

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had a cv hanging around when my B took a shit and it runs great. I just need to get a better lookin air cleaner.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I run an S&S "e". When I want my motor to respond I usually need to down shift or slip the clutch 'cause my shits geared for the long haul.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I'm running a CV. Runs fine for my aplication, fairly cheap (about 50 bucks) and some times you can find them laying on the side of the road form all the guys that just HAD to have a S&S on thier Evo.

·
Registered
625 Posts
i ran a B forever... got tired of it dying in mid idle when i sat at a left turn light for 20 minutes once in a while.
moved over the a cv off a 97 dyna...
i've seen that shovel idle at like 75 rpms a minute and i just scratch my head... how the hell did i do that??
for a air cleaner i just got a cheapie and drilled out the back...

butche

·
Registered
427 Posts
Joey said:
I'm running an E right now. And more then likely I just don't have it set up right. But it's not the most responsive carb I've ever used. It works great if you are WOT and want to dump fuel in the chamber but other then that it's kind of slow to respond.

It's probably just my ignorance though.
sounds like it's not adjusted properly I am running a G on my 98" Shovel and I have no problem what so ever....most people buy it throw it on and call it good...alot of adjustments and jet changes will make it ball's to the wall performance...adjust your air first then you need to adjust your accelerator pump till no black smoke comes out when you twist the throttle and if you still don't have it change your main jet up or down it will be no slouch anywhere through the power band unless if your running to big of a cam and or timing is messed up...try that...

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
For the money $25 or so, it's the keihin butterfly. You can turn the slow speed screw out about 4 turns and ret up up a couple of sizes larger and it's a good carb. You may need to hacksaw the tit off the top of the carb to expose the screw however on the later model ones. One drawback however is once the slowspeed circuit is worn out the carbs trashed because it's made from aluminum. and all the keihins were lean from the factory so if you changed pipes or airclearns or timing, they coughed. But that can be fixed with the mods listed above. About the best new carb in my opinion is the Super E. Easy to tune and jet and spare parts are in abundance. The old BEndix carbs are nice but the new adjustable mainjet ones are junk as the adjustable screw leaks air.

·
Registered
360 Posts
i've got a "B" on my '76, it works fine. not the best responsiveness but the bike starts and runs good. If I had to buy a new one, "E" or SU. $.02

·
Registered
340 Posts
E's if you got the bread.
B's if it's in good shape and you got the electric button and some cam.
CV's work great too (also cheap)
Bendix in good shape for a kick only scoot on a budget.
Mikuni if you are rich and tuning genius.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i swapped my super E out for a cv off a 2003 evo,put in a needle
from a 1200 sport . idle is great ,pulls hard and gets 45mpg.
could'nt ask for better and the carb was free! put one on my ironhead
sporty too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts