Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the major opportunity to trade my truck for a 1982 flt. My birth year bike. I just can't decide. I kind of need my truck but it's nothing special and i have a car but its on it's last leg. So...... if you had the chance to straight up trade for your birth year sled what would you do. I already have a stock Sporty and my "slocum trail" project Sporty. I just can't decide. Help

·
Registered
974 Posts
its an FLT not FLH , Id swap any truck for any FLH but Id pretty much swap nothing for an FLT.

1982 , Id keep looking for FXWG disc glide

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
There are very few usable parts on an FLT. I wouldn't swap.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Spend a day detailing your truck, sell it for cash and sell your piece of shit car and buy a good reliable car with 4 cylinders- yeah I know not cool but you already have 2 bikes and that way you can finish your current build whilst getting through the next winter. .

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
its an FLT not FLH , Id swap any truck for any FLH but Id pretty much swap nothing for an FLT.

1982 , Id keep looking for FXWG disc glide
Better yet, 1982 was the first year for the FXR...and it still had a Shovel in it. If I were looking for a birth year bike from 1982, that's what I'd get.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hey all, Enlighten me please...

FLH is a Pan/Shov/Evo. FLT is a Tour Glide. Correct so far? But a couple of you say there are few usable parts on the FLT and they suck to work on? What is meant by that?

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
If it's the stamped frame with the weird one piece gas tank I'm thinking it is....it's one fugly motorcycle.

I have a friend who owns one and he loves it, so what do I know.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hey all, Enlighten me please...

FLH is a Pan/Shov/Evo. FLT is a Tour Glide. Correct so far? But a couple of you say there are few usable parts on the FLT and they suck to work on? What is meant by that?
Ok....everything on a 82 FLT is different
the fork neck leads the fork tubes, fork is specific to this model
stamped frame like a road king
5 speed trans with old style clutch hub
fuel tank is from outer space, one off weird shit
you cannot get brake parts nfor this thing
I can go on but fingers are tired of typing
best Russ

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Look at a lot of pictures of '80-'82 FLTs. If you really like the overall look of it, maybe. They're oddball models, so some of the stuff you need to keep it going (and stopping) is hard to find. They have their weak points, but most old bikes do. As far as chopper or bobber or even stripped dresser material, it has very little potential. If you don't like it as is, forget it.

Besides, winter is coming and you live in Indiana. If all you've got is one crappy car, I can almost guarantee you'll get stranded at least once. And it won't be at a convenient time and place.

If I were in your shoes, I'd skip this deal and wait for the right FLH or FXR.

edit: Just read about your survivor roller. The engine of the FLT will bolt into a 4 speed frame. It's just a regular shovelhead engine and all the rubber mount stuff is bolt on. But the transmission won't work in a frame that was originally set for a 4 speed. Besides, if you put that engine in a survivor roller, you won't have an '82 any more, just a bike with an '82 engine. And wasn't '82 part of the point?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
as said, if you can't decide then you should not do it. Others have nothing to gain or loose so..

also what kinda truck ? do you use it ?? is it helpful to you ?

if so,,then def. not as the bike will just be another place to spend money

·
Registered
497 Posts
if your just gonna use the engine in your roller ,then your trading your truck for a engine basicly . you can find a shovel motor easy, dont think id let my truck go just for an engine. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
501 Posts
I has a S&S shovelhead with S&S heads. It needs cylinders, rods re-built, basicly a good going through. The cases are real nice, heads are ready to go.

oil pump, pushrod bases all there. I swiped the pushrods and cone cover off it

like TR said motors are cheap and plentiful, trucks are like gold when you need em!

600. plus shipping or come to Ohio and pick up

G

·
Better yet, 1982 was the first year for the FXR...and it still had a Shovel in it. If I were looking for a birth year bike from 1982, that's what I'd get.
By far the Best Shovel that the factory ever made.....

Beats out the Low Rider, Wide Glide, Dressers all of them from 1966 to 84....

This is just my opinion....it and a quarter, will get you a cup of Coffee..:p

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 37 Posts