Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sportster should i buy it?

This guy i work with wants to sell me his 04 HD Sportster 883 custom. with only 130 miles on it..... yes 130.... the bike looks brand new $5000 bux
Is there any reason i should pass up this deal?
It will be my first Harly

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
i can give reasons, but none that arent only cause i hate new harleys, lol... the price is decent, miles aside, it should be worth a lil less... if its just a basic 883, tehy are only like $6500 new, and its nearly 3 years old, his inability or lack of riding it doesnt make it worth much more really, can actually cause u trouble...

offer him $4k, evos are worth $3500-$5k dependin on where you live...

·
Registered
391 Posts
It's really up to you. O4 is a rubber mount isn't it? If you plan on going rigid you may have problems finding frames. You can straight up Egay the forward controls for $250 and lower your cost some. You will have to do the exhaust and intake then save up for the 1200 upgrade. Pretty cheap if you do the work your self. If it has the new tank you might have to dump that as well. How dare HD deviate. The 3.2 was bad enough. Good luck,
Jakemon

·
Registered
773 Posts
Don't make it a rigid if its a rubber-mount.
Do a cafe treatment or something.
With a few upgrades to the motor you can get that thing up to a 1200...tweak it some more and you've got a fast little scoot.
I'm not a big fan of the new harleys either, but I have two buddies that ride sporty's. One has the 03 with the 1200 kit, pipes, intake and it hauls ass. It's just kinda plain looking. The other one has an 04 1200 with intake and a thunderheader and it moves.

With a bit of creativity, that bike can be sick looking, fast, and at the same time RELIABLE, if you can believe it.

evil1 said:
i would like to build a rigid. how would the rubber mounts effect that?

·
Registered
6 Posts
evil1 said:
i would like to build a rigid. how would the rubber mounts effect that?
Atlas makes a rigid frame for the 04' and up Sportys for up to a 200 tire. 5 bills is pretty good for a 2 year old bike with those miles. The Custom model has a pretty high retail (around 8500 i think, and dealership overhead usually adds another 1500-2000 ), so 5 grand is a very solid deal in my opinion.
I just had the 1200 conversion done to my 883 also, the power is very impressive now. Wheelstands are easy, I have little doubt that it will run circles around an average overstuffed neon light flashing big twin.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had an 04 883C, I would give 5 grand for one, specialy with miles like that. I think it cost me 8 out the door after everything plus warranty, no extra shit. Course I got rid of it and will never buy from the dealership again...

·
Registered
200 Posts
evil1:

I bought a brand new 883 in 2002. Theoretically they only cost $6500, but by the time I was out the door, paid for tax, tags, delivery, etc it was over $7500.

I rode it daily for two summers, yet only managed to rack up 2500 miles. I guess I don't go very far!

I sold it for $6200 in 2004. It was only in the paper for a few days before I was loading it onto the back of someone else's truck.

$5000 is really low, and even if you don't want the bike you should pick it up and flip it for a quick profit.

Hope this helps,
Ed

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Definitely a good price. I see guys around here selling older (2000 - 2003) 833's for much more than that and with a lot more miles. The fact that it's an '04 rubber mount is a big selling point in my book.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts