Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My forks are a bit different wit the outer spring so I wanted to see if anybody here had done this before. I've read a few things here and there about cutting the spring and top tube and having them re-threaded but I wasn't sure If that would work for mine.

I know about Forking by Frank but I'd like to do it myself.

BTW - these aren't mine but it's the same style...

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
what I did with mine was to just cut the springs down, but that does have some issues that you need to be aware of. First, you need to remember that if you cut a spring down by 2" the the efect is to lower the forks by more like 3" because you have weakened the spring rate as well. Second, the fork tubes must not bottom out, this is bad, if they do you will need to cut the tubes down too.
I cut my springs by 1" and that works fine, but my bike is very light.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nutrocker said:
what I did with mine was to just cut the springs down, but that does have some issues that you need to be aware of. First, you need to remember that if you cut a spring down by 2" the the efect is to lower the forks by more like 3" because you have weakened the spring rate as well. Second, the fork tubes must not bottom out, this is bad, if they do you will need to cut the tubes down too.
I cut my springs by 1" and that works fine, but my bike is very light.
Hope this helps.
Mine should be pretty light too. Other than what you mentioned, taking out 1" of the spring gave you no other problems? How does it ride?

I don't suppose you have a pic of yours after the mod?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.