I figured I'd do a quick post on this, since I hadn't done it before, and I couldn't find a lot of information on it.
- Number one, you'll need a special 57/64-24 tap. These are 50 to $60 so you'll need to factor that into whether you really want to do this modification. I see no way to do the modification without one.
- Decide on a length of the grip, keeping in mind that only the last inch or to will be a "grip", and the rest will just be the smooth metal sleeve.
- Cut the bars and sleeve to the same length. Neither need to be .001 accuracy, but you'll want them a close and as square as possible.
- Lastly I would recommend using grips that have the same OD throughout so you don't have a weird hump between the grip and sleeve.
- Drill bar ends with 7/8" bit
- Retap threads using new tap.
- Before shortening the grip, make sure to measure an leave enough room for the end nut (inside).
1.1 MB Views: 332
1.3 MB Views: 52
1.5 MB Views: 55
1.6 MB Views: 53
607.8 KB Views: 54