Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, new ironhead project. 1980 new super E, what's good on this bike is the most important part, the engine. Starts right up, warms up and idles well quicker than any Honda I ever had.

Question, these pipes... The carb seems to like em this short. It looks rather rediculous to me and it makes me smell like shit whenever I ride the bike. Plus they seem to make dogs snarl and babies cry when I drive by. They sputtered a little in the low gears, I've since baffled em' and they work much better, but still louder than a Manowar show.

Anyone use a similar style with success? I recently just went from pure metric to a triumph and a sporty so forgive any ignorance I have at the moment.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Put a nice set of muffler pipes on there, rejet the carb to them and enjoy a finely tuned, crisp running Sportster engine. Dumps are just noise makers and you end up robbing yourself of performance and gas mileage...add to that the attention from the cops and the possible tickets. You're throwing away a lot with those pipes.

·
Registered
425 Posts
My ears hurt just looking at them!

Sputtered without baffles....makes me think the old girl is asking for some back pressure and you gave her something to induce a little.....the baffles.

I will leave the real info to the guys who have much more experience with these old monsters. Cool idea and bike though. I bet with the dogs snarling and the babies crying, you also get the wimmens running too......away! That has to be incredibly loud!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Some may call me old, but there is such a thing as "TOO FUCKING LOUD!"

Longer pipes will add to the low rpm scavenge, and remove the sputter. Will help upper range power too the same way. Pipes that short might be tunable in a 2-1 config so they can scavenge at various rpm ranges off each cylinders exhaust cycle. I dunno.....it was a brainfart, and I am sure someone will correct my thinking here.

·
Registered
102 Posts
As the others have said, Ironhead crave back pressure and once they have it the run SO much better. It took me a few years to figure that out (as well as an old bad ass wrench telling me to get some back pressure on my ironheads everytime we hung out).

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Some may call me old, but there is such a thing as "TOO FUCKING LOUD!"

Longer pipes will add to the low rpm scavenge, and remove the sputter. Will help upper range power too the same way. Pipes that short might be tunable in a 2-1 config so they can scavenge at various rpm ranges off each cylinders exhaust cycle. I dunno.....it was a brainfart, and I am sure someone will correct my thinking here.
Loud rarely equals power or performance in my observation. It generally equates to the exact opposite. Look at the road racing Sportsters and road racing bikes in general that have to operate over a wide range of RPM's, they don't run dumps or drags, they run highly tested 2 into 1 systems generally. Smooth power through the entire RPM range.

A finely tuned, performance exhaust equipped Sportster engine is music to my ears :).

I could listen to this one all day long. What a sound. Stone performance.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Those remind me of a set I had on a shovel. I was in the process of making some new pipes for it, but I wanted to ride, so I threw some cut off pipes similar to those on for afew days. I had to tweek the carb (SU) to accomadate them. The front pipe shot almost straight down like the one in the pic. My SU had some junk on the seat and overflowed out of the tickler (it was dark, I didn't know) I kicked the bike over, a flame shot out the pipe and ignited the fuel on the ground. Lucky for me I was in front of my house and was able to get some water on it quickly, but I lost my magneto cover, and plug wires, and I had a helluva time getting the black film off of everything.

Sixball

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.