Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought shocks for 69 flh from J&P .. Im a cheap bastard. They will not fit on existing studs . They are 1/2 inch inside the metal bushing. The studs on my bike seem to be 5/8. If i remove the bushings they will fit but I would think they need to stay . Anyone run into this, maybe know where to get the right size studs ? Are all shocks now a standard 1/2 inch holes? :confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just pulled the metal bushing from mine... Been running that way for 2 yrs. I put some white lithium grease on the stud

Also, I think there is a kit with smaller studs out there

·
Administrator
7,802 Posts
What kind of shocks are they, chinese special? If so, then you need to find some oem ones or good quality replacements.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
What's the wall thickness of the bushing? Can you maybe use a thinner wall bushing?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@HD48FL- No not Chinese but Taiwanese ..lol @Nottso- any thinner bushing and they just need to be removed. Ill probably just try and remove the bushings like LivingCanvas has said he did and run 'em ...

·
Registered
515 Posts
is that maybe not a bushing, but instead an adapter for bikes w/ smaller studs?

Id say pull it out and run them

jeff

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I would run em. There is no difference between the sleeve fitting on the stud, and the rubber, sitting on the stud. Either way, it is metal, against rubber. I can't count the shocks that have no bushing I have removed over the years. Although I prefer to buy American, sometimes, it is not available or the price is through the roof.

·
Registered
60 Posts
What kind of shocks are they, chinese special? If so, then you need to find some oem ones or good quality replacements.
I put progressive shocks on my bike with a round swingarm and ran into the same issue, and used the same solution. I guess I need to find a good quality replacement for them too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts