Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody know the compressed eye to eye length of a rear shock on a '04 FXDI ? i need to find out so i can make some mock up struts.

·
Registered
625 Posts
lilbill said:
anybody know the compressed eye to eye length of a rear shock on a '04 FXDI ? i need to find out so i can make some mock up struts.
take the shocks off. let the tire rest on the fender for a littl while.
set the frame on a 4X4 or what ever you want your belly height to be and then measure. eye to eye.

you can try to use a "strap-down" but it never worked quite as easy/accurate for me as just taking off the shocks and measuring did.

butche

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that won't give me the compressed shock length.
here's the deal. i want to put a set of 04 fxdi shocks on the back of my 77 shovel. uncompressed, the eye to eye length is a little over 13" (12" is stock flh length). to lower the bike, i moved the lower shock mounts to the bottom of the swingarm. now though, when the shocks bottom out, the drive chain hits the starter gear housing behing the primary. defineately uncool.
if i can find out the compressed length of these shocks then i can make a mock up strut to relocate the lower shock mount to the best place to fix the problem.
com bic ?

·
Registered
625 Posts
oh i though you were wanting to measure to build struts "instead" of shocks.

seems like the FL used a 13 inch shock, the FX used 12 inch. and if you put the lower mounts to the bottom of the swing arm
you are essencially running a 10 inch shock...im suprized you dont bottom out alot. as for the compression measurment... you can try that 2nd method i mentioned. throw a strap over the seat and through the swing arm and crank it tight.. it might give you an idea on both to at least work from.. i always just kinda eyed it.

butche

1 - 4 of 4 Posts