Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had to shim panhead rear brake cam .110" to get brake shoes to sit evenly on backing plate. Seems like a lot to me, just wondering if that is too much?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
It might work, but it means that something is screwed up, either the wrong parts or something is bent. The stock washer is a very thin copper spring washer. Considering it's your brake, it would be a good idea to find the problem and correct it :).

Geo.

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
Are you sure the shoes are installed correctly? Is the cam the correct one? Is the pivot correct? Many different parts will sort of fit but aren't right. Without good pictures of what you have it is all guesswork...

·
Registered
940 Posts
That should work just fine!!!! As long as it doesn't rub the hub!!!!!
Can't imagine how that's possible to contact the hub, especially with a big ol drum in the way.

Regardless, my theory on that brake operation is that the cups/pivot stud hold the shoes in place, and the cam does nothing more than actuation. So if the cam is .1", in it really doesn't matter, save for maybe a future wear mark on the shoes. The original part is listed as a spring washer, presumably (in my opinion) only to gently minimize slop on the cam, and be a sacrificial wear point. Later descriptions include "thrust washer".

Point is, in my opinion, if you are worried about "shimming" the the cam so it's exactly flush with edge of the brake shoes, you needn't because it won't matter, nor was that the original intent.

So assuming all parts are good and assembled correctly, I wouldn't sweat it, and I'd take out at least one of those thick washers. Not to mention variations in all of the parts involved, which appear to be aftermarket in your pics.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The intent was to make the brake shoes sit evenly on the backing plate. I have the spring washer, however when it's under the cam the brake shoes sit unevenly against the backing plate (higher on the pivot stud side, than the cam side).

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
There is no reason to use two brake springs. You only need the lower spring (the one closest to the brake cam), the extra spring serves no purpose and wasn't used by the factory. The upper part of the brake shoe is captured by the pivot stud cups and doesn't need a spring to keep it in place. Although you do need two springs on the early Big Twin front brake because of the different design of the pivot stud. :)

Geo.

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
If you shim the cam you will have to shorten the boss on the backing plate as the brake arm will pinch it when installed and bind up the brake making it not work at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts