Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyways, my friend needs a front wheel for his trump, found a suzuki wheel to use cause he cant afford a trump one and mines not leaving anytime soon, LOL.. anyways, he says bearing shop couldnt get him bearings to convert it to 5/8 axle for the triumph... (i think triumph is really a different size but what do i know...

anwyays, shouldnt this be a decently easy find at a bike shop??? he went to some big ass bearing place...

idk, advice??

i am tryin to get him to run my 19" off my harley, i KNOW he can convert that, but i think he should be able to easily convert the suzuki...

MAN, as a side note... i got my 21 spoolie on as a side not, but need a pipe cutter to make this spacer .. got the size down, now just need it cut in TWEEN... lmao

·
Registered
896 Posts
Bearing shops can be a lot cheape. There's a chevy bearing that fits in a harley that is about 14 bucks a set at autozone, and it's 40 bucks at the harley shops. Same timken bearings. I think it's from a chevy rear end and it fits the old harley wheels. I can't remember. Point being that most times it's cheaper to look into the industrial and automotive field for stuff like that.

I remember when I was looking for a front end for my 71 FXR front end. Now, those are sort of an odd front end. the neck stem is 1" because it's for a big twin. The fork tubes are 33.5mm (Like the older ironheads). The axle is metric! I swear to god every shop I went to swore up and down it was a sportster front end! So I went to the Import Salvage place, and those guys didn't believe me either. They said there was no way a japanese front end would fit a harley. They wouldn't even pull any wheels for me and measure the axle. But my BSA front wheel did fit it.

I'm probably not helping...

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Voneville said:
I remember when I was looking for a front end for my 71 FXR front end. Now, those are sort of an odd front end. the neck stem is 1" because it's for a big twin. The fork tubes are 33.5mm (Like the older ironheads). The axle is metric! I swear to god every shop I went to swore up and down it was a sportster front end! So I went to the Import Salvage place, and those guys didn't believe me either. They said there was no way a japanese front end would fit a harley. They wouldn't even pull any wheels for me and measure the axle. But my BSA front wheel did fit it.
DUDE! I cannot even tell you what a big fucking pain in the ASS finding bearings for that front end was!!!!! I made some assumptions when I bought a wheel for that. It's a Harley, so it must be either 3/4" or a 5/8" axle. 3/4" didn't fit, so I ordered the 5/8"... didn't fit! couldn't figure it out?? So then I put some calipers on it (which I should have done from the beginning!! :eek: ) and found it to be 17mm!!! WTF???

Anyway 51rat, to help with your situation, do this. Figure out what size the axle is (measure it!!) then get the wheel you want and measure the inside of the bearing seat (or the outside of the old bearing even better!) and go to your local bearing shop. Tell them what it's for (for speed rating) and pop them in. You may have to have some spacers made/turned and a seperator tube for inside the wheel, but there's no reason you shouldn't be able to make it work. You may have to do some searching on the WWW, but it shouldn't be a big deal. It's ALL been done by someone! Remember that! Also, make sure you find the RIGHT KIND of bearing for the application! Example, the Triumph wheels use a shielded standard ball bearing, Harley wheels use a tapered roller type bearing. Just figure out what was intended to be used in the wheel, and you'll be okay. You might have to order some stock bearings for that wheel just to figure out dimensions and type. Can always send them back.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Been there done that. I Found an old 21" wheel with a Honda mini hub. Pre unit front end mind you. The wheel came with bearings and an axle set up for a harley. Went to a local bearing shop after measuring everything and what do I find out.... There is no such bearing size to match the Metric hub bearing O.D. to the Triumph Whit Axle O.D. I ended up with no other option but to have a stainless sleeve machined to pick up the difference. It worked well, but it sure cost an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Also, you can check McMaster Carr. They have a lot of bearings. Just watch the load and speed ratings. Somewhere on here, if you do a search, someone else was looking for bearing suppliers for a special wheel bearing and there were a whole tone of bearing suppliers provided. you might find your answer there as well.

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
the situation is this... i had a 42 mm bearing with a little under 5/8s shaft whatevermm size it was im not sure. basically they didnt make a 42mm bearing with a 5/8ths hole. only ones they make are 40mm. that was the suzuki wheel...

NOW, i got this harley wheel with timken bearings and they are standard sizes. so tomorrow i hopw this ordeal will be over when i go to the bearing shop.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
You won't find a standard size bearing with a metric OD and standard ID, or vice versa. You'll need to find someone with a lathe that owes you a favor to make a spacer. As far as finding bearings goes, I've irritated a few bearing shop guys. Many don't want to waste time with the likes of me. Charlie at CBR isn't one of them. He welcomes calls with crazy requests. Great guy - he'll even make you the spacers you need for the standard-metric marriage.

http://www.cbrbearing.com/motorcycles_&_atv's.htm

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Anything can be made to fit with some custom spacers. I recently put a set of 2000 gsxr wheels on a custom frame with a 3/4 rear axle and an '84 gs suzuki front end.those inner bearing were like 26mm (just over an inch for our metricly challenged friends). I had to turn some pretty crazy spacers but they are on there. Not my choice of wheels but this guy wanted it done so....Can you make an axle that fits the suzuki bearing and turn down to fit in the trump fork mount? or is the trump larger? Maybe then you could sleeve one end or both ends or something like that.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
CBR out of fallbrook kicks ass and is a great help .
Standard triumph wheel bearings are 6303 . 3/4 inch axle . Triumph ran drop out forks so the axle stayed with the rim and didn't com out . So to convert that to a jap your best bet is a titan500 duel leading shoe front wheel . If I remeber correctly they are 20mm axle that is also mounted using drop outs . Also some hondas from the early 80's / late 70 used drop outs with 19mm axle which is very close to a 3/4" axle . Anyways the 20mm axle and drop out nut can be turned down easily to 3/4" . Or just make bushings . Just use common sense . And if it looks to be a dumb Idea , it is so don't do it . There is enough things in this world to hurt you on your bike don't make your "craftmanship " one of them

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
my axle is 5/8s(or just over cuz i seems a bit loose) not 3/4. and im not using the susuki wheel anymore, hence my other post. im using a HD wheel now with standard size so i wont have to worry about mixing metric with standard.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
greasystain said:
my axle is 5/8s(or just over cuz i seems a bit loose) not 3/4. and im not using the susuki wheel anymore, hence my other post. im using a HD wheel now with standard size so i wont have to worry about mixing metric with standard.
If you are going down to 5/8 axle i think those are 6302 but I'm not sure . What front end are you running ? The only triumph 5/8 forks I've ever seen were back in the 40's

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
looks like the standard 68 fork to me..... missing the rubber gators its the 2 bolt cap style(the cap that holds the axle) they also have 4 bolt styles.

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
i just said fuck it, and im getting a new axle machined. sorry for the long discussion for nothing. i was sick of looking for bearings and its actually cheper to have an axle made, then to buy bearings.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts