Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Differential expansion. Different materials expand at different rates. Different metals or alloys expand at different rates. Warming a bike up by easy riding under a light load for the first few minutes allows the different materials to expand and surfaces, gaskets, etc to mate properly before coming under the attack of WOT. This is particularly important at head and base gaskets where there are high pressures inside the engine and low pressures outside, i.e. ambient air pressure.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Trent said:
What Rythemean said.
...and to get oil pumped to all the crannies it's supposed to be flowing to in order to aid in what Rytheman said.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you gentlemen....an associate of mine claimed that you wamed up a bike to give the carb time to get the air/fuel mixture set up and there is no need to warm up EFI bikes.

This is coming from an MMI grad and since I didn't go to MMI, I'm lucky I can even start my bike let alone tie my shoes. THX

·
Registered
237 Posts
(Head nodding.) The old Minnesota Mammary Institute. Closely affiliated with Mammaraski du PolyTechnique in Sveden.

I studied there.

·
Registered
237 Posts
They don't expect people to abuse equipment like most of us do. Most people drive easy-ish most of the time. Plus, the 15 seconds really is to get the oil and juices flowing and pressures up. They are focused on liability, not reliability. Repairs mean money in the bank and guaranteed return customers. Particularly for the newbies, etc that can't or won't wrench on their own shit.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Polock Joe said:
Whats the purpose of warming up a bike?
Depends on the bike.
If it's something like a Shovel or earlier, not much other than
making sure oil is getting flowing before you go whacking on it.

Evo and later, it's mostly to let the thermal expansion of the
cylinders occur, so you don't go blowing head gaskets and
base gaskets like what happens when one doesn't allow for it.

I never let my Shovel "warm up".
She does sit and idle for about 30 seconds - 1 minute
because that's how long it takes me to navigate off the patio
and out the gate, but after that, I'm not purposely kind to her.

It did take its toll on her, I imagine, but I couldn't
seperate what caused what after 275,000 miles.

Best,

Weyland

·
Registered
237 Posts
Looking at your work, all I can say is I'm not worthy. It's guys like you that make it possible for guys like me to stay on the road. Great website and you, sir, are THE man.

Much respect.

Weyland said:
Depends on the bike.
If it's something like a Shovel or earlier, not much other than
making sure oil is getting flowing before you go whacking on it.

Evo and later, it's mostly to let the thermal expansion of the
cylinders occur, so you don't go blowing head gaskets and
base gaskets like what happens when one doesn't allow for it.

I never let my Shovel "warm up".
She does sit and idle for about 30 seconds - 1 minute
because that's how long it takes me to navigate off the patio
and out the gate, but after that, I'm not purposely kind to her.

It did take its toll on her, I imagine, but I couldn't
seperate what caused what after 275,000 miles.

Best,

Weyland

·
Registered
165 Posts
Rythemean said:
Looking at your work, all I can say is I'm not worthy. It's guys like you that make it possible for guys like me to stay on the road. Great website and you, sir, are THE man. Much respect.
Arooo?
Uhhh... It's not all *THAT*, but
thanks anyway... I try to do my part...
It's not rocket science; just attention to detail.
My biggest enemy is being too slow, and not having enough hours in the day.

Best,

Weyland

·
Registered
63 Posts
Polock Joe said:
Thank you gentlemen....an associate of mine claimed that you wamed up a bike to give the carb time to get the air/fuel mixture set up and there is no need to warm up EFI bikes.

This is coming from an MMI grad and since I didn't go to MMI, I'm lucky I can even start my bike let alone tie my shoes. THX
MMI puts micro chips in your head.Then tells you to go and work for a dealership.I had to cut mine out with a axe.That shit would have killed a normal man.

·
Registered
237 Posts
You have a large dick, Skill Saw.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
fatass said:
Soooo, why do newer vehicles only suggest to warm up for about 15 seconds in the owner's manual? Is everything made out of aluminum, including the seals and head gaskets?
New cars also don't need much of a warm-up unless it is extremely cold. My Honda (car) uses 5W-20 oil, factory spec. That gets up to temp a lot faster than the old 10W-40 weight, I'm sure that has something to do with it. Pat Goss of "Goss' Garage" fame advocates a warm-up by driving slowly right away unless extreme old temps are present.
I'd say a different story with carb equipped bikes. My new Triumph (America, I know, gay) definitely has to warm a bit before it runs smoothly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts