Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
This is something new to me...I'm a British bike fanatic and know very little about the Harley Davisdon machines, especially the Servicar. I've been tasked with helping a friend with repairing what she thought was a leaky transmission on a 1970 servicar. She said it was leaking buckets from the transmission output seal. She even showed me a picture of it in her garage last fall with a catch pan half full of oil under it. It's been sitting for several days in the shop with no leaks at all and the transmission is full. I've driven the machine around the neighbourhood a bit and all it leaves on the floor when I come back is a tiny drop. Could it be that she simply overfilled the tarnsmission?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
The engine vents is in the same area

engine dumping oil is always a thing and it uses the vent to do it they use 2 pumps in and out the out is on the cam cover it has 3 springs and balls - to fix the dumping sometimes it slows it down and sometimes it fixes it - remove the pump the rotatator times the pump to the cam but it goes both ways - removing the 3 caps then the spring and balls we just replace all of it they have been used 50 plus years - a 3/8 pushrod works great for lapping the ball seat with valve grinding compound < dont miss this step it actually works most times

note - the rotator only goes in one way and has springs and vanes that will fall out or jump out so caution removing it and place it so you know how it goes back - the springs are very light and you can just reinstall it easyly

this is the amount of oil on the floor its common PITA they almost all do but re lapping the balls in the pump is the first thing we do - one gasket 3 3/8 balls and 3 light springs - the caps just a touch of paste on the thread almost nothing is great once cleaned

Reactions: Goldy

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sent it home last week. Just a transmission leak and a list of small repairs. Thanks for the help Johnjzjz. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts