Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did a little searching but I got some conflicting info, so maybe a few people can school me on the ways to ID the years, steering stem sizes by year and when they changed from manual brake to hydraulic.

So far I've heard:

* 1951 as the first year for hydraulic brakes

* 1958 as the first year for 1" stem
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Info provided by Dragstew and Scavenger

37-40 2 bolt tranny mount

41-47 3 bolt tranny and 2 bolt clutch cable mount

48-50 3 hole clutch cable mount

51-57 Hyd brake mount 7/8 neck ( look under neck for seat for springer damper )

58-73 ( 74 ) Same as above but Glide neck, 73/74 has a bracket on the right side for E brake handle

As introduced,(1932) the Servi-Car had a drum brake on the front wheel and another drum brake inside the rear axle housing, decelerating both rear wheels. In 1937, the braking system was upgraded to have a drum brake on each wheel. A hydraulic rear brake system was introduced in 1951. The very last Servi-Cars, built late in their last model year, would have disc brakes on all three wheels.

The early (32-36 ) rears are HUGE in the middle, so easy to spot. The disc brake model was also 6 lug.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Am I wrong? Any way to correctly figure the year of a Servi frame?

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The best I can do, I have the 'spare parts' 1940-50 book. It says the part number for 41-50 (possibly farther) is 2801-41. So I guess they had a different frame from beginning of production around 1936-41?

I know that doesn't help too much, but maybe it will narrow things a bit..

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
ok here ya go

37-40 2 bolt tranny mount

41-47 3 bolt tranny and 2 bolt clutch cable mount

48-50 3 hole clutch cable mount

51-57 Hyd brake mount 7/8 neck ( look under neck for seat for springer damper )

58-73 ( 74 ) Same as above but Glide neck, 73/74 has a bracket on the right side for E brake handle

G

·
LOL, is that from the factory service bulletin? ;)

Now I'm reading that the 1" stem Hydra Glide started in 1958, Not 60 like I stated. I'll change it up top unless someone has different info.
As introduced,(1932) the Servi-Car had a drum brake on the front wheel and another drum brake inside the rear axle housing, decelerating both rear wheels. In 1937, the braking system was upgraded to have a drum brake on each wheel. A hydraulic rear brake system was introduced in 1951. The very last Servi-Cars, built late in their last model year, would have disc brakes on all three wheels.

Had a few of these rear end over the years.

And this 51 GE was fun.....
Kinda a slow but sure bike....Reminded me of a Mule....Not a Buell.

It was bone stock when I pulled it out of the Hills of Tenn..by the fold down Tow Bar.
................Oh Look...I had hair back in that day.............

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
As introduced, the Servi-Car had a drum brake on the front wheel and another drum brake inside the rear axle housing, decelerating both rear wheels. In 1937, the braking system was upgraded to have a drum brake on each wheel. A hydraulic rear brake system was introduced in 1951. The very last Servi-Cars, built late in their last model year, would have disc brakes on all three wheels.

Had a few of these rear end over the years.
The early (32-36 ) rears are HUGE in the middle, so easy to spot. The disc brake model was also 6 lug.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks so much guys, really.

I'll update up top in case someone else needs this info. If you or anyone else has any more, keep it coming.

If anyone has pictures of distinguishing areas of the frame, please feel free to post them as well.

G

·
G

·

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I know about the chain sides, but aren't the truss rods supposed to be on the bottom? If I'm correct then the front of the housing is facing the rear?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.