Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the chance to pick up a '66 servi-car so I'm looking for info. Google is only giving me so much, so who else has info to help me out?

I haven't seen it yet, but its supposed to be all there. Are these worth having? Can they be changed into a 2 wheeled cycle?

All info helps.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
3 speed tranny has reverse, should not be a problem to make it a 2 wheeler for most, but for me it would be a huge problem because I suck in the wrenching department -AJ

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
can be swapped over, buy it, use reverse, make people laugh, LOL...

seriously, get it, i want one one day

·
Registered
98 Posts
They're good if you have aspirations of being a Meter Maid. 66 would be the last year with a metal box, 67 went to fiberglass. 66 also was the first year for an alternator. Fun around town but never been a big fan of the 45.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
buy it and keep a servi - i want one but i love 45s so its kinda a natural progression i suppose...

·
Registered
344 Posts
ChopperMark said:
If you want a two-wheeled 45 go get one, and leave the trike for someone who wants a trike.

Ain't the Servicar frame wider at the back for the differential anyways?
I agree man, if you want the servi get it, but please don't buy it just as a route to a 45...

There's plenty of people (like Sumo) who want one but they're pretty damn rare...

if you just want a 45 please find a 45 that already has 2 wheels...

·
Registered
344 Posts
if it's got a shovel, do what the hell you want with the engine! ;-) either way if you buy it and you want a two wheeled, at least sell (and don't cut the frame...) be enough to buy yourself a rigid....

everyones happy.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
really now... dont buy it!!

its a 45 motor - rockin thing for just nocking about to the shops carrying bike parts etc - and like el buche said --- beer runs

if you want a shovel buy one they are relatively cheap and plentifull even if you just get an engine/trans and go from there....

please dont [unless you want to send me the chassis over here and keep yourself a 45 engine - in that case buy it this second!!]

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I thought that they would have gotten the shovelhead like the '66 FLH. I'm pretty ignorant to these, hence why I asked for the info.
I'll get some pics and get them up here (hopefully soon)!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
ignorance is not asking....

i would love it though - think about what you are after - couldmake a storming project...

·
Registered
344 Posts
wjjeeper - don't take it as an onslought these things are rare not many people know much about them... you just hit a raw never with the 2 wheel cutting it up thing, go take a look at it, find out what it is and report back, there you'l get your advise, other than not cutting one up!

Look forward to hearing about what you find...

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
no need to even consider "cutting it up",

keep an eye on ebay's american>vintage,antique parts listings, there are still plenty of 45 solo (2-wheel) frames listed.

the engine and fork will bolt right up, so will the gearbox or someone (like me) would trade you a straight 3 speed solo box for your +R. then all you'll need is rear wheel & fender.

and being post '51 it has a hydraulic brake rear axle, those sell for $7-900 regularly - that will buy your solo frame, and you will be able to find a buyer for the servi frame too.

here's an earlier model from a thread last week:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
98 Posts
The side valve 45's in Servi-cars were usually worn out by the time they reached 4500 miles. Why? because they ran all day, mostly at idle. I cant imagine putting a Shovel into that type of service. When I was 13 my Dad had one he used as a "Dispatch-Tow" at his service station. I betcha I tipped that thing over 3 or 4 times.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts