Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to poll some of you guys on how fast you really think your Sportster will go in a standing mile. How fast will it be going on exit of the mile or how fast do you think the top end is given no distance limit, just top end speed. Give some details on the mods, weight of bike, estimated HP, final gearing, etc.
Until I get on the dyno and know where the power band is and just how much power my motor will make I haven't a clue accurately of anything but speculation. I've heard other racers say I will be at around 100mph when I believe I will be closer to 135+. Any of you have 1/4 mile trap speeds that would give me an indication?
Help me out guys.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Clowns....
They're the seriously fast dudes. Can't you tell?

Why don't you take your Sportster to LTA meet in Loring, Maine or over to the ECTA Ohio mile in Wilmington? That way you won't have to ask "How fast?" You'll get a timing slip telling you how fast right down to .001 mph. Those tracks are not too far away from you and are paved so you won't be heading home with a bike full of salt. Ohio is a mile. Trying to remember i Loring is a mile or 1.3 miles.

Bring your bike to Bonneville and you can find out the answer to all your questions. At the SCTA SpeedWeek you can be timed from mile one to mile two and from mile two to mile three. Those would be mile averages. You will get a top speed time at the 2 1/4 mile mark. And if you haven't hit our top speed by then something is seriously wrong.

Give it a shot. Beats the hell out of listening to guys telling how they went 160 with their RD350 Yamaha or 190 with their bone stock Sportster. I had to listen last week to how a dead stock Hayabusa went 240 on a highway in the desert. Its very hard to keep a straight face at times.

So how fast have you been?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

Why don't you take your Sportster to LTA meet in Loring, Maine or over to the ECTA Ohio mile in Wilmington? That way you won't have to ask "How fast?" You'll get a timing slip telling you how fast right down to .001 mph. Those tracks are not too far away from you and are paved so you won't be heading home with a bike full of salt. Ohio is a mile. Trying to remember i Loring is a mile or 1.3 miles.

Bring your bike to Bonneville and you can find out the answer to all your questions. At the SCTA SpeedWeek you can be timed from mile one to mile two and from mile two to mile three. Those would be mile averages. You will get a top speed time at the 2 1/4 mile mark. And if you haven't hit our top speed by then something is seriously wrong.

Give it a shot. Beats the hell out of listening to guys telling how they went 160 with their RD350 Yamaha or 190 with their bone stock Sportster. I had to listen last week to how a dead stock Hayabusa went 240 on a highway in the desert. Its very hard to keep a straight face at times.

I am preparing for the Sept. event at the Ohio Mile. There is no current record for my bike so any run I make will be a world record. I am trying to get as much info as I can preparing my bike before I show up there. Unfortunately my small 1032cc engine puts me into the 1350cc class at both venues and at Bonneville I believe I have a serious disadvantage against the big 1350s running 172mph. I crew chiefed a car at Bonneville last year breaking a 14 year old record at 262mph(out the back at 266mph). We also set class record at Maxton and were the first in the 200mph club at the Ohio Mile setting a new class record there. With 11 classes of cars above us we had the second fastest run of the event getting bested by only 4mph. It was after this first event that I checked out the bike records to find that even now after 3 events no one has entered a bike in my class. The 2 classes below me that I could qualify for only ran 117 and 129 and the class above me only ran 131mph. Ohio times top speed out the back where Bonneville is the mile average.

·
Registered
570 Posts
(snip)...

Just a twitch shy of ninety, in fourth gear last night. Since I hadn't topped out, and still had one more gear to go, and hadn't even tried to crouch down and get out of the wind, I know that 883 is good for at least 135...

Seriously, it's had a Screaming Eagle air filter installed!

Okay, guess I'll set down the bottle of Cisco now...

So, is this an XR?

Looks badass!

Edit: I really did go just under an indicated 90 in 4th on my '01 883C last night, but riding in 5th, it seems to get kinda' weak; would be surprised if it'd do much over a hundred with my fat ass on it. Good looking bike, fun bike to ride, lots to like about her - but fast she ain't!

-Bill

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hoofhearted, why are those 2 blown records not in the book? Were you associated with them?

I can guess they were set in 2011 and were not in the 2011 book?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a twitch shy of ninety, in fourth gear last night. Since I hadn't topped out, and still had one more gear to go, and hadn't even tried to crouch down and get out of the wind, I know that 883 is good for at least 135...

Seriously, it's had a Screaming Eagle air filter installed!

Okay, guess I'll set down the bottle of Cisco now...

So, is this an XR?

Looks badass!

Edit: I really did go just under an indicated 90 in 4th on my '01 883C last night, but riding in 5th, it seems to get kinda' weak; would be surprised if it'd do much over a hundred with my fat ass on it. Good looking bike, fun bike to ride, lots to like about her - but fast she ain't!

-Bill
It's an all aluminum Sputhe headed XLCH.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Not really stock, but this one has hit 130 plus in the Q with 24-48 sprockets, and a 5" stroke. I wanna say its turning about 5500, 5800 through the traps. Not exactly sure what the primary ratio is, but I'm pretty sure its real close to stock.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Now THAT is a ride! Anymore pics of her?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now THAT is a ride! Anymore pics of her?
It will have a full XRTT fairing on it and it is coming apart shortly to have EVERYTHING powder coated on it (what I do for a living), and a traditional Black and Orange Harley paint scheme and look similar to this:

·
Banned
7,407 Posts
Does a Buell count....??

Got a pocket full of Speeding tickets with the Old Girl over the years...:eek:
Guess the Cops think it's fast..

Did get out of one ticket out in Vegas. :)

Was riding on the I-15 going towards LA
The Buell with the tall gearing I'm running is like a horse...Gets in it's gait.
It has it's sweet spot that is comfortable for cruising...
That is just a little over a Hundred MPH....

Well Sir....I was headed to Goodsprings to the Pioneer Saloon to throw back a few.

http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

It's about 25 miles from Vegas.. Was in the sweet spot with a smile on my face, third lane over, traffic was light..

Had just maybe another 10 miles to go to make the turn off of the 15...
When I seen Blue lights in my mirrors.

O-Shit....He's after my Ass, I thought.

Well, being so close to my turn-off...Figured I would kick it up to 150 MPH (The Buell runs out of gear at 185) and get far enough ahead of him to make my turn and go hide...

That didn't work out so well...
At a sustained speed of a buck-fifty he was gaining on me.
Got close enough to me that I could see why...
He was driving one of those Mustang's with the Super-Charger.

Ok...Alright....Wasn't about to get away from this guy...
So I pulled over to face the music...

He walked up to me and said..

I'm about at the end of my shift.
If you tell me a story, that I never heard before, why you was speeding,
I'll let you go ..!!!

Well it didn't take me long, at all, to think of something to say....

Told him that my X-wife ran off, about three years ago, with a State Cop...

And I thought YOU was bring her back....:eek:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
317 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does a Buell count....??

Got a pocket full of Speeding tickets with the Old Girl over the years...:eek:
Guess the Cops think it's fast..

Did get out of one ticket out in Vegas. :)

Was riding on the I-15 going towards LA
The Buell with the tall gearing I'm running is like a horse...Gets in it's gait.
It has it's sweet spot that is comfortable for cruising...
That is just a little over a Hundred MPH....

Well Sir....I was headed to Goodsprings to the Pioneer Bar to throw back a few...It's about 25 miles from Vegas.. Was in the sweet spot with a smile on my face, third lane over, traffic was light..

Had just maybe another 10 miles to go to make the turn off of the 15...
When I seen Blue lights in my mirrors.

O-Shit....He's after my Ass, I thought.

Well, being so close to my turn-off...Figured I would kick it up to 150 MPH (The Buell runs out of gear at 185) and get far enough ahead of him to make my turn and go hide...

That didn't work out so well...
At a sustained speed of a buck-fifty he was gaining on me.
Got close enough to me that I could see why...
He was driving one of those Mustang's with the Super-Charger.

Ok...Alright....Wasn't about to get away from this guy...
So I pulled over to face the music...

He walked up to me and said..

I'm about at the end of my shift.
If you tell me a story, that I never heard before, why you was speeding,
I'll let you go ..!!!

Well it didn't take me long, at all, to think of something to say....

Told him that my X-wife ran off, about three years ago, with a State Cop...

And I thought YOU was bring her back....:eek:
That joke is probably older than your bike.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
My sportster is so slow it has not left the shop bench ...

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Hoofhearted, why are those 2 blown records not in the book? Were you associated with them?

I can guess they were set in 2011 and were not in the 2011 book?
They are in the 2012 book. Kind of embarrassing. I should go back and do something about them. I'll be there but running in the 650 class. Maybe next year.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts