Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As a U.S. seller what will I need to do to sell my bike to a Canadian buyer? The bike is a 79 and has a title.I live in N.Y. State. Any help will be appreciated. Or is it as simple as signing the title and writing out a bill of sale. I live 15-20 min. from the border, he's bringing a trailer to transport. Marc

·
Registered
779 Posts
For you, that's about it. You, or the buyer will have to send all papers 72 hours in advance to the US border for their approval and release. Then the buyer takes the bike across the border and all taxes should be paid on the Canadian side. The bike will have to go through inspection to be registered.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The bike is over 15 years old so no paperwork is necessary to send to the border in advance. The buyer will have to bring the title and bill of sale and then at the border he just needs to declare what he has and fill out an import form. Once he gets it back he'll need a provincial safety inspection and he's good to go.

One thing to note is that legally the bike should be unmodified to import but the last bike I brought across was hardtailed and they didn't say anything.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"buyer will have to bring the title and bill of sale and then at the border he just needs to declare what he has and fill out an import form."^^^

The buyer called and asked for the vin# is that so he can begin the paper work in advance?

·
Registered
258 Posts
The buyer should call the border office and find out what you need to do.

I bought my truck (1964 c10) from the US and had to have the seller fax a copy of the title to the border 72hrs in advance.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Buyer is showing up tomorrow,8-9:00am..with cash and a trailer. Will let you know how it went.Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Be prepared for some righteous indignation from some "Bro's" for selling your bike out of the country.
The sneaky Canadians are clearly buying our motorcycles to study them and learn our secrets. They will then invade on suspiciously familiar-looking new Canadian motorcycles. That's not only decidedly un-bro of you, it's un-American!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Everything went well with the sale. But he did say he had an eager buyer in OZ...;)mmmm David could that be you?? All kidding aside Thanks everyone for your advice

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.