Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran out of transmission fluid while driving. Now I can't k ick start bike cause shifter rod is frozen shut. I added transmission fluid but it didn't help. I tried putting the bike in 2 and pulling it back to reset things. This helped in the past but not now. Anything else I can try on my own? I appreciate it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Nows a great time to learn about your motor. Pick up Wes's rebuild DVD, watch it 50 times and then strip the motor down. It sounds like a big job, but remember it easier to take apart then put back together. You will see what is good and what needs to be replaced.

I just did the same last year. When you get stuck, post a question and people here will help. Go for it!

MRB

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am going to have a professsional place check it out. It might not be that bad. When it happenened the rear tire locked up for a sec, I slided for a sec, pull the clutch in, pulled over and slowed it down to a stop.

If I open it up and start looking around, I am not sure I would see the problem. But it would save me money. Thanks for the advice. I'll see.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I ran out of transmission fluid while driving. Now I can't k ick start bike cause shifter rod is frozen shut. I added transmission fluid but it didn't help. I tried putting the bike in 2 and pulling it back to reset things. This helped in the past but not now. Anything else I can try on my own? I appreciate it.

So you have seized the trans more than once ? :eek: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
And still didn't learn your lesson ?

Consider your 9 Lives used up, time to open your wallet.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No when I said it happened to me before- I meant when I had times in the past couple of months where the shifter wouldn't kick cause it was stuck in place (like it is now) all I did then was put it in 2nd, pull the bike backwards as it dragged it's feet being in 2nd, and then I would be able to kick fine. That would re set the bike for me. But that doesn't do the trick anymore. I spoke to my mechanic and he hasn't seen the bike yet, but he doesn't think it is a transmission problem cause the bike in neutral rolls back and forth. The fact that the kicker is stuck in 1 place tells him that it may be a piston that broke or is stuck and the only way he would know is to open the top and see what is up. So I will do that. 5-6 hours labor plus parts he said...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Learn to do your own spannering,workin on these old girls aint rocket science,5-6hrs of labour will get you a basic set of needed tools and manuals and plenty of help here on the forum.Get stuck in and do not be afraid

·
Registered
498 Posts
Now I can't kick start bike cause shifter rod is frozen shut.
At first I though your gear lever was jamming,and not able to shift in or out of gear.That might happen if you siezed a gear onto the mainshaft or layshaft;and that can sometimes be fixed for the price of gearbox gaskets and the use of a press to move the gear off the shaft.

Reading further down,it appears that only the kick-start lever is jammed.You can select neutral,and it sounds like you can also select second gear.
If you can push the bike along in neutral,the output sleeve gear is turning and the layshaft is also turning freely.The mainshaft won't be turning,as you push the bike,until you engage a gear.

If you engage a gear ,4th or 5th would be best,can you push the bike and turn the engine with the sparkplugs removed?That might eliminate some possible causes of your problem.

If this really is a gearbox problem,it would be good to know the model and if it is 4-speed or 5-speed.Are you really putting ATF (transmission fluid) into the gearbox,or are you using gear oil?

G

·
If it's the Trans they are real easy to work on. I tore my first Triumph T120 down yesterday and there was nothing to it. Get you a book and ask questions here. You can fix it yourself believe me. Good luck,

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
even with the engine stuck you should still be able to pull the clutch and roll the bike, if you can roll the bike then the trans is likely good.
if you seized the engine, it won't kick through.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Sounds to me like you need to learn to check oil levels and or get a different hobby.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.