Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on the fence now about running seat springs or rigid mounting the seat on my Trump. I had planned on using hairpin style springs, but after I mocked it up and sat on it, I pretty much sacked them out. I am (just) under 200lbs. Do the coil style work any better? Keep in mind I wouldn't run anything taller than a 3" spring, are they worth it?

I just don't want to go to the work of mounting everything, and having the springs flatten out as soon as I sit on it. If I rigid mount the seat, I can get it to sit down nice and low to the frame. Any thoughts on the (dis) comfort level of each setup? Lets hear it, thanks.

·
motorcycle enthusiast
2,656 Posts
I have regular 3" springs on my bike , and I am 6'3" and 250 lbs . I wouldnt run a seat on a rigid without springs . Unless it was a really cush job , it will just fuck up your back and make you hate riding your bike .

The seat / spring setup I have is super comfy and makes up for any discomfort you might have riding a rigid . of course if you hit a hole that is big enough , going fast enough , nothing will save you . I would say go for it . it is cheap fast insurance against sitting on your own balls at speed , or shoving your spine up into your brain .

·
mucho-rake
1,122 Posts
i agree with =mike=.

i run taller springs as seen in pic. but hes right for some craters it just doesnt matter . IF im lucky enought to see them in advance i stand on the floorboard MX style and listen to the battery bounce. but for the majority of riding im glad to have the springs. on LOF bike its sooooooooo long that having a rigid seat doesnt matter

·
Registered
726 Posts
squirelmurphy said:
I just don't want to go to the work of mounting everything, and having the springs flatten out as soon as I sit on it. If I rigid mount the seat, I can get it to sit down nice and low to the frame. Any thoughts on the (dis) comfort level of each setup? Lets hear it, thanks.
If your going to ride it then go with the springs and lose some weight tubby....but if you don't have any feeling in your testes then by all means rigid mount it.

·
motorcycle enthusiast
2,656 Posts
todd said:
i agree with =mike=.
IF im lucky enought to see them in advance i stand on the floorboard MX style . . .
I've gotten pretty good at putting my weight on my feet when
I see an impending gutter or pothole .
My wife is also getting good at noticing me tensing up and she
gets right up on her feet as soon as she feels my shoulders start
to pull back on the bars so I can shift my weight forward .

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Mine's a rigid mount and to be honest....its not really as bad as most people think.

Sure, you have to watch for potholes and stuff....but you learn where they are after awhile....

Of course, my back is already kinda fucked up from playing the drums most of my life....so I can't tell if the bike helps or hurts more.

·
TI_Tuesday
1,247 Posts
mine is rigid mount without padding and its comfy all day...although i almost bit my tounge off once when i hit a big ass pothole.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
I ussualy rigid mount my seats 'cause I hate the left to right movements these springs give ya while riding...It gives me that less control spongy feeling...

@ Tom, that's one good lookin' scooter ya showed us there man...more pics somewhere?...

·
Registered
675 Posts
I love it when I sit on my balls! Ouch. I have my seat on rubber freeze plugs sitting directly on my frame. It give me that fake sense on security. I remind myself its fake everytime i hit a bump or pothole!But then again I think I'm shooting blanks now because of it :)
=mike= said:
I have regular 3" springs on my bike , and I am 6'3" and 250 lbs . I wouldnt run a seat on a rigid without springs . Unless it was a really cush job , it will just fuck up your back and make you hate riding your bike .

The seat / spring setup I have is super comfy and makes up for any discomfort you might have riding a rigid . of course if you hit a hole that is big enough , going fast enough , nothing will save you . I would say go for it . it is cheap fast insurance against sitting on your own balls at speed , or shoving your spine up into your brain .

·
motorcycle enthusiast
2,656 Posts
chicoman7 said:
Ouch. I have my seat on rubber freeze plugs sitting directly on my frame. . .
yeah we just had this conversation last week . you should get some springs under that tractor seat of yours and save whats left of your kidneys .

·
Registered
675 Posts
YES PLEASE! I asked Arielle if she wants to sell her bagger too. No answer yet...
=mike= said:
yeah we just had this conversation last week . you should get some springs under that tractor seat of yours and save whats left of your kidneys .

·
Registered
675 Posts
Im working on it to see if she wants to give it up. You get first denile I get second. If she wants to let it go that is.....
=mike= said:
I thought you were going to work on that for me . did you decide that you wanted it afterall ?

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
chicoman7 said:
I love it when I sit on my balls! Ouch. I have my seat on rubber freeze plugs sitting directly on my frame. It give me that fake sense on security. I remind myself its fake everytime i hit a bump or pothole!But then again I think I'm shooting blanks now because of it :)
When I use solo seats on my Softail Bobbers, I use 3" springs for the looks, but inside the springs I have solid studs that way the seat stays in place...

·
Registered
675 Posts
Cheater...I'm tellin' mom!
Danny F. said:
When I use solo seats on my Softail Bobbers, I use 3" springs for the looks, but inside the springs I have solid studs that way the seat stays in place...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts