Jockey Journal Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Up here in CT we have a lot of crappy roads with potholes everywhere. I thought how bad it would be to hit one with the trailer and no suspension. Might flip it if I hit a big enough pothole.
Actually the tires aint too bad greasystain. But I will replace them when I get the cash.
Going to go through all the suspension hardware too. The lug nuts are shot. When I remove the wheels I know every one of them will snap off.

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
Up here in CT we have a lot of crappy roads with potholes everywhere. I thought how bad it would be to hit one with the trailer and no suspension. Might flip it if I hit a big enough pothole.
Actually the tires aint too bad greasystain. But I will replace them when I get the cash.
Going to go through all the suspension hardware too. The lug nuts are shot. When I remove the wheels I know every one of them will snap off.
the tires might be fine with it sitting there, but you drag that down the road with that much dry rott they will explode. i know from experience, had one blow up the other day actually cuz we thought we could use them temporarily even. one of them even blew up on the tire machine, and it exploded the tube and tire so hard that it blew the wheel off the hydraulic wheel holders and sounded like a 50 cal going off.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
the tires might be fine with it sitting there, but you drag that down the road with that much dry rott they will explode. i know from experience, had one blow up the other day actually cuz we thought we could use them temporarily even. one of them even blew up on the tire machine, and it exploded the tube and tire so hard that it blew the wheel off the hydraulic wheel holders and sounded like a 50 cal going off.
!!! I definitely will change them!! LOL

·
Registered
104 Posts
I hauled a riding lawn mower about 65 miles one way with a trailer with no suspension....
Never again. Bounced all over the place, had to drive real slow... Not the way to go.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have hauled cars many miles on unsprung trailers. They ride and tow just fine. Look at it this way.... the car has suspension. The majority of the weight of the car plus the trailer is sprung. As you hit bumps, etc, the trailer and the cars wheels will move up, but the car body, frame, engine and so on will tend to remain stationary. The car's suspension does a good job of dampening the trailer's ride. When the trailer is empty, all bets are off

·
Registered
376 Posts
... The car's suspension does a good job of dampening the trailer's ride. When the trailer is empty, all bets are off
that sounds reasonable. i'm guessing that if you have an unsprung bike trailer and the scoot is tied down by the frame/handlebars this might not apply. anyone ever tied their bike down using only the wheels/tires and leaving the rest of the bike to ride "sprung"?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Finally got the trailer in running condition. Still needs some work but... Here's a couple pics of it. Towed it a couple hundred miles this weekend.
It's hard to see in the first pic but I kept the suspension and it rides great.

Attachments

·
Registered
728 Posts
I like the extra length on the tongue. I had a short one like yours for awhile, and the thing was so quick it was easier to unhook and back it up by hand than to have it on the back of the truck! Sweet trailer!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Thanks, I gave the length some real thought. I've trailered all kinds of things over the years and knew I needed it to be longer rather than shorter and it paid off. Backing it up is a breeze. And I think I nailed the tongue weight too. By hand is easy too!

41 - 51 of 51 Posts