Jockey Journal Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
Building a trailer with no suspension is a total waste of time and effort. And a good way to really fuck-up your ride.

·
Registered
23 Posts
No fuckin way. I think I have the hubcaps off this trailer. I recognized it in the picture and then saw you're from CT. I found it on the edge of somebody's property one time when I was lost in the woods somewhere around Uconn. I think there's a good chance it's the same one. Any chance you're from that part of CT?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
No fuckin way. I think I have the hubcaps off this trailer. I recognized it in the picture and then saw you're from CT. I found it on the edge of somebody's property one time when I was lost in the woods somewhere around Uconn. I think there's a good chance it's the same one. Any chance you're from that part of CT?
LMAO! No I'm from Southern Central CT in Shelton but you never know! Found it at the Shelton Transfer Station.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I wondered the same thing,won't the trailer bounce all over w/no suspension?
Well it won't be the same as one with a suspension but I think it'll be ok. As I said earlier I'm not set in stone with going solid yet but people and companies have built them that way for decades.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've got a lightweight trailer that similar. Axel and channel iron. No suspension. Worked great for my Triumph bobber, and my panhead.only trouble is backing up. So short it wants to jack knife.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I've got a lightweight trailer that similar. Axel and channel iron. No suspension. Worked great for my Triumph bobber, and my panhead.only trouble is backing up. So short it wants to jack knife.
Good to hear real experience that it works. Yeah short trailers do jack knife quick. My log splitter is that way.

·
Registered
199 Posts
ya know? everybody disses trailers,but when you get old and decrepit, like me, or have that failed back surgery rear its ugly head, like me. or just everything you build is too low to get on a regular trailer w/out scraping,again like me, then a good bike trailer is worth its weight in gold! yea, i got a coupla pickups, i`d like to see ya put my non running `74 FL in the back of one! it would take 5 men a boy and a good dog to put in there![or a tree and a chainfall]
so if you`v got more than one bike, or like to buy non-runners, or want to provide rescue services for your buddies who`v broke or went down, a good bike trailer is worth its weight in gold!
and here you guys are building vintage trailers that are more kick-azz than most guys bikes!
and to the guy pulling the vintage trailer behind the vintage coupe with a custom bike on it, well that just too cool!
i want one.
I feel your pain dude,I had the tendons repaired in my left hand after a stab wound,arthritis is setting in and it is hard to ride more than 80 miles without losing the ability to use the clutch handle,I enjoy riding but can only do short blasts,so if I want to go cross country,trailer and truck then ride to the event,better than nothing I guess

·
Registered
726 Posts
oh hell, brutha, i can ride pretty much all day! its pushing it around and kickstarting it that kills me! and theres NO way i could get one in the back of a truck. hence the need for a good trailer! preferably one with tilt,as everything i build is lower`d.
as for suspension? i`v seen`em done both ways. rigid will work,but, you`ll play `ell trying to keep tight straps and such with no suspension. the best unit i`v seen? Dropped torsion bar axle w/tilt rails. but it sure as `ell didnt look as cool as these vintage pieces these guys got!

·
Registered
23 Posts
LMAO! No I'm from Southern Central CT in Shelton but you never know! Found it at the Shelton Transfer Station.
Probably a different one then, but looks identical. I'm sure there were tons of them built back in the day. If you're in shelton we're pretty close. I'm in stratford.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Stratford is right next door. Keep in touch. If you want to get rid of the hubcaps let me know!

·
Registered
376 Posts
well, now i'm a bit bummed. my reason for having a bike trailer is so that i can spend less time getting from home to the mountains (rockies or smokies) and more time riding in the hills. it takes 2 days riding each way for me to go either direction, more if sweetie is with me; but can drive a car/truck in 1 day each way. that gives me 2 more days of mountain riding each trip.

i've got a garden variety 54" x 8' utility trailer with fold down ramp in the rear that i occasionally haul my scoot to the hills with, but was really hoping to build something with more cool factor. sounds like the consensus here is for long hauls i prolly need a trailer with suspension.

maybe i'll build a non-suspended single rail trailer in hopes that someday i'll have the bsa hard-tailed and running and use said trailer to haul the beezer to the H.A.M.B. drags behind my hot rod.

i guess i'll just keep on usin' what i've got. it ain't broke so i guess i'll not try to fix it.

thanx to all participants in this discussion, and to the op. please post build pix if you do remake your trailer into a bike-hauler. it'll look really cool with those spoked wheels.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
thanx to all participants in this discussion, and to the op. please post build pix if you do remake your trailer into a bike-hauler. it'll look really cool with those spoked wheels.
I definitely will post pics of it's progress atch.

·
Registered
199 Posts
well, now i'm a bit bummed. my reason for having a bike trailer is so that i can spend less time getting from home to the mountains (rockies or smokies) and more time riding in the hills. it takes 2 days riding each way for me to go either direction, more if sweetie is with me; but can drive a car/truck in 1 day each way. that gives me 2 more days of mountain riding each trip.

i've got a garden variety 54" x 8' utility trailer with fold down ramp in the rear that i occasionally haul my scoot to the hills with, but was really hoping to build something with more cool factor. sounds like the consensus here is for long hauls i prolly need a trailer with suspension.

maybe i'll build a non-suspended single rail trailer in hopes that someday i'll have the bsa hard-tailed and running and use said trailer to haul the beezer to the H.A.M.B. drags behind my hot rod.

i guess i'll just keep on usin' what i've got. it ain't broke so i guess i'll not try to fix it.

you could always build a single rail trailer and use a torsion axle,looks rigid but will have flex

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Been working on my trailer lately. Finally have a plan. I'm going to keep the suspension after all. The pieces on top of the frame are just temporary braces. I found some old scrap U-channel pieces that I welded end to end for the bike track. It turns out that the Transmission cross member is at a perfect height to rest the U-channel on. It gives me a few inches of suspension travel. Notice the original lever style shocks are still on the frame. I'm going to try my best to get them working again. They're stiff as hell. I'll definitely leave them on regardless. Can always use them as a tie down spot. Next I have to decide which way to face the trailer. The front end that the old car bumper use to bolt onto is narrower so I'll probably keep that towards the hitch. I'm also going to use the original engine cross member. Just have to cut it up a bit to work with the height of the channel. More pics soon to follow.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Just a side note on suspension/no suspension topic. I had a light utility trailer , angle iron with expanded metal floor. Filled the tires to the recommended pressure and drug it 100 miles down the interstate to pick up a basket case I had bought. Damn thing bounced like a basketball the whole way there, loaded the bike up and it ran home smooth as silk. My point is if you get the tire pressure right, they will take a lot of the road shock away, and act as "suspension". They may wear faster than normal, but there is always a price paid for "cool".

·
Registered
267 Posts
Trailers are a must have, I spent the better part of 3 days (2 snap on drill bits, 2 rolls of .35 flux core wire, 36 beers, 3 cut off wheels and 1 fill of oxy actyl) making my horizontal 2x6" trailer a couple of months ago. But I have used it 5 times in the last 2 weeks and it sure as hell is nice to have especially in Florida where its so flat you can't find an incline to load a bike in the truck the easy way for miles. (Thats a long push in the summer sun)

21 - 40 of 51 Posts