Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found this old utility trailer (FUTURE BIKE TRAILER) at our town dump last summer. It was just dropped off 15 minutes before I got there and I just happened to have a 1 7/8" ball for my receiver hitch so I towed it home. (I usually never have that thing in my truck cuz hardly anything uses 1 7/8 anymore) I guess it was meant to be!! ;)
Funny thing is I went to the dump to get rid of a bunch of car parts and I came home with more than I got rid of. I sold my house and had only so much room for all my car and motorcycle stuff at the new digs. LMAO, boy was my chick pissed but screw that.

What's cool about it is that it was the front portion of 32 Chevy which means it has a dropped I-beam front axle. Gonna weld a U-channel to it and use it to haul my bikes around behind a 31 Model A Hot Rod.

Can't wait to start on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Alright, jazz it up. Those are some nice spoke wheels. I'll tell you about my motorcycle trailer I scored, made from the rear end of a model A its got the 5 wide rims and hubs getting trailer tires for that was a bitch I think I used duellies. Mines got the ford radius tie rods that dudes used to lengthen springers.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah man, will do Larry! if anyone wants me too I can post pics of the progress as I make any. One of the rims is rotted pretty bad at the valve stem so I got one from out west on ebay for $40 delivered! It was so nice I might buy another from the guy.

Share some pics of yours Larry.

·
Registered
837 Posts
that'll be a pretty sweet bike hauler!

& it just gave me an idea... i've got an extra model A axle/hubs/wheels that the kingpin is jacked up on. i could weld it fixed, convert to run parallel leafs and have a nearly free trailer...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that'll be a pretty sweet bike hauler!

& it just gave me an idea... i've got an extra model A axle/hubs/wheels that the kingpin is jacked up on. i could weld it fixed, convert to run parallel leafs and have a nearly free trailer...
LOL, glad I could help! That's awesome dhalli.

·
Registered
112 Posts
That is cool! When I first saw the thread title, I thought it was going to be one of those POS Harbor Freight, Lowes, Tractor Supply, Costco trailers that you can't get wheel bearings for. But oh no, this is awesome!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Sure!......why not?......Burgundy satin pearl IT IS!!!!!:D. The trailer looks like a perfect candidate. You need something vintage to put on it. BTW.....welcome to the board
Thanks guys, yeah I almost shit when i saw it at the dump.

Thanks Hatch. i was just bustin on the color. Hope you're doing well.
You end up in Florida? I'm workin on moving to Edgewater (south of Daytona) in a couple years where my girl has a small cottage. I picked up a basket case 66 Triumph T100 chop recently that I'm going to put back together. I'd really like to do one without a rake though.

Guys - I bought Hatch's Model A about 6 years ago. Didn't want to see it go overseas! Freakin thing is like driving a go-kart with a V8 lol.

LilBill - that trailer is awesome!! It reminds me of the old Moon trailer kits from back in the day.

Attachments

·
Registered
376 Posts
let me resurect this thread, please.

i subscribed when it first started. i've got an old trailer stored at a friends house. it's been there since 1987, but he tells me it's still there. it's made from a front beam axle; although i don't know what brand it is (ford/chev/mopar/whatever). for several years i've thought of going to get it to make a bike hauler out of.

so, the reason i brought this back up: none of the trailers in the pix on this thread have any springs or suspension of any kind. it it not necessary on a bike trailer?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
The first trailer which belongs to Gas_Tires_Oil and which is the subject of this thread has leaf springs on it. Did you overlook them in the pics? I would think that some sort of suspension would be ideal as well.

none of the trailers in the pix on this thread have any springs or suspension of any kind. it it not necessary on a bike trailer?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
let me resurect this thread, please.

i subscribed when it first started. i've got an old trailer stored at a friends house. it's been there since 1987, but he tells me it's still there. it's made from a front beam axle; although i don't know what brand it is (ford/chev/mopar/whatever). for several years i've thought of going to get it to make a bike hauler out of.

so, the reason i brought this back up: none of the trailers in the pix on this thread have any springs or suspension of any kind. it it not necessary on a bike trailer?
Yes, mine has springs but I'm probably am not going to use them. The car that I'm going to haul the bike around is low to the ground and I want the whole look to flow so I'm planning on welding a U-channel directly to the I-beam similar to what Hatch has in his picture. But that design isn't set in stone just yet. I don't think it's totally necessary to have a suspension but I don't plan on hauling it too far either. My thought is the weight of the motorcycle will keep it under control. Look at the pic of the old Moon Eyes trailer I posted.

I've been wanting to jump all over the project but it's buried in a few feet of snow and I don't have a shop big enough to bring it inside to work on it. Can't freakin wait for Spring thaw.

Here's a few more pics of trailers without suspensions. The first two are Moon Eyes trailers.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
All of this only goes to maintain the saying, that, "One mans junk, is another mans treasure". I was raised on such treasure. Great finds, in all cases. And all of this, in a world where everything is built to last only a short time, the old stuff, keeps coming back, over and over and over. I love old stuff.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All of this only goes to maintain the saying, that, "One mans junk, is another mans treasure". I was raised on such treasure. Great finds, in all cases. And all of this, in a world where everything is built to last only a short time, the old stuff, keeps coming back, over and over and over. I love old stuff.
Aint that the truth! Someone threw my trailer away and I saw Treasure!

·
Registered
726 Posts
ya know? everybody disses trailers,but when you get old and decrepit, like me, or have that failed back surgery rear its ugly head, like me. or just everything you build is too low to get on a regular trailer w/out scraping,again like me, then a good bike trailer is worth its weight in gold! yea, i got a coupla pickups, i`d like to see ya put my non running `74 FL in the back of one! it would take 5 men a boy and a good dog to put in there![or a tree and a chainfall]
so if you`v got more than one bike, or like to buy non-runners, or want to provide rescue services for your buddies who`v broke or went down, a good bike trailer is worth its weight in gold!
and here you guys are building vintage trailers that are more kick-azz than most guys bikes!
and to the guy pulling the vintage trailer behind the vintage coupe with a custom bike on it, well that just too cool!
i want one.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts